55gal sterile bin lighting

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver bc
Hi there! Still on my learning journey and wondering..

I found the thread on how to create a enclosed chamber for a hatchling using a 50gal plastic bin. The hight of the bin is roughly 18 inches. Would I be able to use the 24” Arcadia pro t5 12% kit?

The example in the thread used a T8

I’m asking as id like to use the t5 when I build my pvc enclosed chamber!

thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_6963.jpeg
    IMG_6963.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi there! Still on my learning journey and wondering..

I found the thread on how to create a enclosed chamber for a hatchling using a 50gal plastic bin. The hight of the bin is roughly 18 inches. Would I be able to use the 24” Arcadia pro t5 12% kit?

The example in the thread used a T8

I’m asking as id like to use the t5 when I build my pvc enclosed chamber!

thanks so much!
Hi! Only with a Forest 6% lamp or without a reflector (it's removable). Recommended distance is 18-21 inches. The bin height is 18, minus 3-4 inches of substrate, minus 1.5-2 inches for lamp fixture height gives distance of roughly 12 inches from lamp to surface).

Vancouver bc
Hi! Only with a Forest 6% lamp or without a reflector (it's removable). Recommended distance is 18-21 inches. The bin height is 18, minus 3-4 inches of substrate, minus 1.5-2 inches for lamp fixture height gives distance of roughly 12 inches from lamp to surface).
Thanks for replying! So to clarify I could use a forest t5 6% WITH the reflector or the t5 12% without the reflector? ( but that may be hard to hang)

And could I ask you what wattage you would suggest for the basking light and CHE in an enclosure like this? Thanks!

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks for replying! So to clarify I could use a forest t5 6% WITH the reflector or the t5 12% without the reflector? ( but that may be hard to hang)

And could I ask you what wattage you would suggest for the basking light and CHE in an enclosure like this? Thanks!
Yes, correct. Reflector nearly doubles the output.

Mounting fixture with or without reflector is the same. Actually, it's better first to click-in fixture in the brackets without reflector, then install reflector and then put in the lamp. Reflector in Arcadia ProT5 kits is a detachable plastic cover with a mirror-like surface.

I would start with a 50W basking lamp - the enclosure is not very spacious and powerful lamp will overheat it. With CHE you can get one 75-100W - thermostat will keep it off when it's not needed, so wattage is less critical.