6 years pyramiding

Stoneysyd

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
20210605_120704.jpg
Okay guys I need help. This is crush, she is almost 7. I got her a year ago in the middle of winter so I didn't want to put her outside just yet being as she had been an aquarium tortious in the previous house she lived in. I feel she's unhealthy and I'm not sure what to do.. shouldn't she be bigger? She's super shy and scared, I just want her healthy and happy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She needs either to be set up outside in a yard with real sun and shade, or in a very large indoor enclosure with a GOOD UVB light. She's suffering with Metabolic Bone Disease, and it's painful.

Feed her calcium rich foods, soak her daily, and maintain a waterer that she can fit into for self soaking.

When she realizes she's safe and you're the food god she'll become less shy. Move slowly around her and be kind.

If you show us her underside including her tail we can let you know for sure if she's really female.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
View attachment 326618
Okay guys I need help. This is crush, she is almost 7. I got her a year ago in the middle of winter so I didn't want to put her outside just yet being as she had been an aquarium tortious in the previous house she lived in. I feel she's unhealthy and I'm not sure what to do.. shouldn't she be bigger? She's super shy and scared, I just want her healthy and happy.
Oh man... looks like she is suffering from MBD.

Follow the directions given above and please keep us updated. Hoping for the best!

Stoneysyd

Arizona
She needs either to be set up outside in a yard with real sun and shade, or in a very large indoor enclosure with a GOOD UVB light. She's suffering with Metabolic Bone Disease, and it's painful.

Feed her calcium rich foods, soak her daily, and maintain a waterer that she can fit into for self soaking.

When she realizes she's safe and you're the food god she'll become less shy. Move slowly around her and be kind.

If you show us her underside including her tail we can let you know for sure if she's really female.
20210605_120758.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because of the lack of proper nutrition, lack of growth, and MBD, this torotise still looks like a juvenile. Its not yet showing any of the secondary sexual characteristics the would be apparent at this age in a torotise that had been raised correctly. The tail is small, which suggests female, but the anal scutes haven't developed into the male or female shape yet. No gular scute development and no plastron concavity could mean female, or a male that just hasn't developed yet.

I'm glad this torotise is now in better hands and will get better treatment. The previous owners are in need of some castigation. What they did was cruel and inhumane. Whether they did it deliberately or out of ignorance matters not. I will be happy to hep you with anything you ned to care for this poor tortoise. Ask questions any time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow poor thing. How anyone could think a tortoise can live its life in an aquarium is just ignorant and should be charged with animal abuse. It's just common sense or even a Google search would tell even the most stupid person the size these guys get.
So glad you took her in. Read and listen to the advice and you will be able to give her a better life.

Stoneysyd

Arizona
Because of the lack of proper nutrition, lack of growth, and MBD, this torotise still looks like a juvenile. Its not yet showing any of the secondary sexual characteristics the would be apparent at this age in a torotise that had been raised correctly. The tail is small, which suggests female, but the anal scutes haven't developed into the male or female shape yet. No gular scute development and no plastron concavity could mean female, or a male that just hasn't developed yet.

I'm glad this torotise is now in better hands and will get better treatment. The previous owners are in need of some castigation. What they did was cruel and inhumane. Whether they did it deliberately or out of ignorance matters not. I will be happy to hep you with anything you ned to care for this poor tortoise. Ask questions any time.
Thank you so much!

Stoneysyd

Arizona

Can I get help on her diet please

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I get help on her diet please
To save me a lot of time and typing, scroll down to the diet info in here: