60 minutes show

Status
Not open for further replies.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el paso tx
Did anyone see the 60 minutes show a couple of weeks ago about the illegal trade of tortoises. It featured a wild plowshare [probably not right spelling] that was beautiful, almost bell shaped, from Madagascar. Also interviewed Eric Good, who is a tortoise conservator in California. Really good show.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I saw it and I loved it. I wish I could have one of his enclosures for my Cherries. :D I thought that Yvonne had a ploughshare tortoise, am I wrong? :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
After watching the episode, I had to wonder about the intentional scarring of wild ploughshare tortoise shells to deter poachers since they may be considered "less desirable" on the black market.

Really, if a poacher found an adult ploughshare with a scarred shell, would they leave it behind because of that?

I really don't think so. In fact I can't even imagine it. The animal would still bring a good price, especially since it's still able to breed and produce perfect offspring.

I also had to wonder about the people hired to stay at camps and protect the wild ploughshares from poachers. Unless they're being paid more than they'd receive for selling them, I imagine it would be far too tempting for these poor people to secretly collect a few to make some extra money.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
Tortus said:
After watching the episode, I had to wonder about the intentional scarring of wild ploughshare tortoise shells to deter poachers since they may be considered "less desirable" on the black market.

Really, if a poacher found an adult ploughshare with a scarred shell, would they leave it behind because of that?

I really don't think so. In fact I can't even imagine it. The animal would still bring a good price, especially since it's still able to breed and produce perfect offspring.

I also had to wonder about the people hired to stay at camps and protect the wild ploughshares from poachers. Unless they're being paid more than they'd receive for selling them, I imagine it would be far too tempting for these poor people to secretly collect a few to make some extra money.

good points, I agree with both

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Tortus said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the poachers are interested in putting the time and care into getting these guys to breed. They want the highest dollar as quick as possible. And maybe the scarring won't deter all of the poachers but if it deters one poacher it gives that tort that much longer to live and reproduce. I understand that the scarring may be painful, but thinking in the big scheme of conservation one more clutch of ploughshares is helping that much more. Especially while theyre in their native land. The conservation sight may not be native but at least it's closer than over seas.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I wasn't thinking of the poachers as breeders, although some of them may be smart enough to get the idea and could be doing just that. I was thinking about the people they sell them to using them as breeding stock.

Even a ploughshare with scribble on its shell is worth more than leaving it behind. It wouldn't deter me if I was determined enough to own one.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I was it and it was great! ;)

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Status