74 degrees

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is 74 degrees too cool for a R/F night time temp? I turn out all lights at night but keep on a 60 watt infra red light near his sleeping spot. I'd like to keep that off as well. Would it be O.K?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
In Mike Pingleton's book "The Redfoot Manual", it says that 70F is "fine for your Redfoot." However, I usually never let my temps drop below 75 at night *just in case*. That's just my preference because I wouldn't want to risk any health issues (especially in high humidity situations). I think I've read somewhere on this forum that as long as your tort can warm up to proper temps during the day, then they should be able to take low'ish temps at night.

As a side precaution, there are tons of temperature ranges for my reds at ground level. The heat rope side stays at 80F at night while the non-heat rope side dips down to 75 day and night. Instead of that red light, why not switch to a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat? Then you can keep it warm in a spot that your tort can choose to be in.

Hope this helps.

Huntington Beach, California
I heard 80 should be the coolest on the cool side. Just buy a small heater and stick it on the side of your tank at night for a couple of hours before bedtime. check and see how long the heat lasts upon unplugging. (should stay warmer for at least 2-3 hours I would think. I have also seen heater rocks. Don't know how warm that makes things but you could check those out too if the light bothers you too much.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Is 74 degrees too cool for a R/F night time temp? I turn out all lights at night but keep on a 60 watt infra red light near his sleeping spot. I'd like to keep that off as well. Would it be O.K?
RF range in South America is vast. Some live in areas where the temps drop to mid 60s. I used to live in prime RF habitat, so I'd say 74°F at might is fine.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES