80 degrees today....Cherries outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Today was actually 80 degrees here, so I brought the torts outside for some sun.
Lil' Solo loving the sun
043-12.jpg

049-6.jpg

050-8.jpg

Pio...a little nervous...no plants to sit under, as the hosta's and other plants haven't come up yet.

058-4.jpg

059-2.jpg

All the boxies are finally up
Chewy's out and about
025-25.jpg

Millie's out with the big kids now
030-21.jpg

Kit and Kat...always together...having a dip in the little water dish
036-15.jpg

Nora finally out
039-11.jpg

Pi..still the climber
027-21.jpg

Nolie...always in water
023-20.jpg

And baby Bindi...in a Christmas Tree storage bin, planted for outside sun
017-28.jpg

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I bet they were surely loving the 80s weather and being able to be outside. Nice pictures and it looks like they have a plethora of food items outside as well.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Woo Hoo ....the lil' guys are loving it !
Great pics "T".................

JD~:)

John

5 Year Member
Great pics, If you took away the water dish these would look like photo's taken in the wild, really cool.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, great pics! I cannot believe how lush the foliage is already! You are not that far south from me but my foliage is not even close to that green yet!!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Love the outdoor setups, do you have pics on another Thread? Great pics, thanks for sharing...

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't think any one of those guys is complaining right now. They look totally in their element.

Nice lush looking enclosures too - do you have anymore full enclosure pictures here in the forum somewhere you can link me too?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you. This was the first time they were out, and just for the day. It's still a little cold here and not much has grown from last year.
This is last week ....one side of the turtle garden....nothing has come up yet...no flowers, hosta's or anything
038-13.jpg

This is the other side ....just a little water plant coming up...nothing else
020-21.jpg

This is part of Pio's garden from last year
043-8.jpg

This is the other side with the hide
024-15.jpg

This is the turtle garden last Summer...The hibernation cave
060-1.jpg

That's the pond side...a little over grown by the end of the Summer
062-1.jpg

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Remarkable... I love it. Are all those plants edible for tortoises too? I want to get creative this sime while we are landscaping but it'll never look as nice as that.

Great work!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
That's a beautiful backyard for tortoises. Nice shell growth on them!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Rich...everything in the tortoise garden is edible. Not so in the turtle garden. In the Spring when they come out from hibernation, they will eat the Hosta sprouts right down to the ground. I don't know how they grow again, but they do. That's about the only thing they eat and only in the Spring. I have a blueberry bush in there and they eat all the one's that drop. There's a compost pile of dried leaves that have every kind of bug and loads of worms that they are always eating too. I have a fig tree near the garden, and they eat all the figs too. There is plenty to eat in the turtle garden, and I never worried about which plant was not OK to eat for them. I am more fussy with the tortoise garden. Pio has figs, blueberries, strawberries, pansies...which are her favorite, Rose of Sharon, and dandelion and if it gets too overgrown, I don't feed her and just let her fend for herself for a few days.
It's very easy to make a garden. The second year it really gets established and looks great. Lot's of flowers make it pretty too.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I really like your enclosure. Lucky torts. Makes me want to get started on mine!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
terryo said:
Rich...everything in the tortoise garden is edible. Not so in the turtle garden. In the Spring when they come out from hibernation, they will eat the Hosta sprouts right down to the ground. I don't know how they grow again, but they do. That's about the only thing they eat and only in the Spring. I have a blueberry bush in there and they eat all the one's that drop. There's a compost pile of dried leaves that have every kind of bug and loads of worms that they are always eating too. I have a fig tree near the garden, and they eat all the figs too. There is plenty to eat in the turtle garden, and I never worried about which plant was not OK to eat for them. I am more fussy with the tortoise garden. Pio has figs, blueberries, strawberries, pansies...which are her favorite, Rose of Sharon, and dandelion and if it gets too overgrown, I don't feed her and just let her fend for herself for a few days.
It's very easy to make a garden. The second year it really gets established and looks great. Lot's of flowers make it pretty too.

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a delicious place to live!

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
Very nice! Its been warming up here in Ohio but we haven't gone a day without rain in almost 3 weeks now. I'm glad all the boxies made it thru winter ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.