A chopper i of could rode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WV
When I was done at the beach my neighbor had this chopper that I as in love with but at the end of our stay done there he said I could of rode this custom made one, I was so made but I got a picture lol. Thank the LORD. :D

Attachments

• image-439744887.png
    image-439744887.png
    273.3 KB · Views: 56
M

Maggie Cummings

Back in the day my favorite ride had a Springer front end, handlebars, a seat, 2 wheels and a motor. It was a hard-tail panhead. We would have been embarrassed to ride what you guys ride today. Our rides generally came in a box and could be put together in a few hours. They cost about $250. Basket cases they were, and that was real motorcycle riding. One year, I'm thinking it was 1976, we bought a basket case and put it together the night before we were to leave for Sturgis. We loaded the bike down with camping gear and our clothes and stuff. It was so loaded that there was simply no more room for the 60 weight oil he was afraid we wouldn't find on the road. So we rode from Santa Cruz Calif to Sturgis South Dakota with me hanging on the back holding a quart of oil in each hand. It was a hard tail with no b**ch bar and that was riding to me. I loved it, in those days there were maybe a thousand people at Sturgis if that and it was fun. Lots of fun. We were 1%'ers and proud of it and we didn't ride full dressers or fancy bikes like that and when something went wrong with that bike we bought another basket case and rode that until it broke down.
Recently as a long distance truck driver for the past few years I'd see pick up trucks pulling trailers loaded with fancy bikes headed for Sturgis. In my day most of the fun was riding to there...just telling how it used to be, I don't mean any insult...:)

M

Maggie Cummings

terryo said:
What an exciting life you've lived Maggie. I love hearing about your memories.

You guys crack me up...it was just a life.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
In 1983,my wife and I rode to Sturgis from South Louisiana on a hardtail sportster chopper(much like the bikes you described,Maggie. Stopped a couple of times and slept on tables in rest stops. We were so sore when we got to Sturgis,we could hardly walk.Ahh..good times. It would kill my fat old self for sure,were I to do it now.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Thanks Maggie for the awesome story I love listen to your guys story's and you know what some of the old bikes where awesome. But I have to say that those custom choppers are still my favorite. Thank the LORD.:D

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I am gonna get my bike to Sturgis one day. "Gypsy" (bike name too) is a an '04 Softail Standard with Vans&Hines straight shot. Custom red and black seat... Loud and Proud...that's how I like to roll.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
View attachment 11470
maggie3fan said:
Back in the day my favorite ride had a Springer front end, handlebars, a seat, 2 wheels and a motor. It was a hard-tail panhead. We would have been embarrassed to ride what you guys ride today. Our rides generally came in a box and could be put together in a few hours. They cost about $250. Basket cases they were, and that was real motorcycle riding. One year, I'm thinking it was 1976, we bought a basket case and put it together the night before we were to leave for Sturgis. We loaded the bike down with camping gear and our clothes and stuff. It was so loaded that there was simply no more room for the 60 weight oil he was afraid we wouldn't find on the road. So we rode from Santa Cruz Calif to Sturgis South Dakota with me hanging on the back holding a quart of oil in each hand. It was a hard tail with no b**ch bar and that was riding to me. I loved it, in those days there were maybe a thousand people at Sturgis if that and it was fun. Lots of fun. We were 1%'ers and proud of it and we didn't ride full dressers or fancy bikes like that and when something went wrong with that bike we bought another basket case and rode that until it broke down.
Recently as a long distance truck driver for the past few years I'd see pick up trucks pulling trailers loaded with fancy bikes headed for Sturgis. In my day most of the fun was riding to there...just telling how it used to be, I don't mean any insult...:)
Maggie
Those were the days weren't they .
I've had several bikes since 1973 .
I get a lot of smack thrown down on me because the old 81 shovel with the 4 speed tranny continues to leak oil by the young ones at work
But hey an oil leak isn't a problem unless
IT QUITS LEAKING OIL..
I'd rather push a Shovelhead than ride a Gold wing .
Sorry Honda fans .
Mike D

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D looks to me like that bike is wearing a thong. :D:rolleyes: I have never gotten brave enough to ride one.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Jacqui said:
:D looks to me like that bike is wearing a thong. :D:rolleyes:

hahaha I was just about to post the same thing :D:D
I don't know what it is today Jacqui, but I've just been quoting all your posts and agreeing with them!!

M

Maggie Cummings

81SHOVELHEAD said:
maggie3fan said:
Maggie
Those were the days weren't they .
I've had several bikes since 1973 .
I get a lot of smack thrown down on me because the old 81 shovel with the 4 speed tranny continues to leak oil by the young ones at work
But hey an oil leak isn't a problem unless
IT QUITS LEAKING OIL..
I'd rather push a Shovelhead than ride a Gold wing .
Sorry Honda fans .
Mike D

Hey Mike, you got to know it's not leaking oil...it's marking it's spot!!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
jackrat said:
In 1983,my wife and I rode to Sturgis from South Louisiana on a hardtail sportster chopper(much like the bikes you described,Maggie. Stopped a couple of times and slept on tables in rest stops. We were so sore when we got to Sturgis,we could hardly walk.Ahh..good times. It would kill my fat old self for sure,were I to do it now.

My MC is riding to Sturgis next year, no hardtails, lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.