A Confused Tyrone ?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Well I don't know what has gotten into Tyrone....NOTHING has changed in his vivarium, but he is sleeping all day and partying all night! I turned on the his lights like normal and usually by the time I change his water and get his breakfast ready he is stomping around, then devours everything on site, soaks himself and poos ...I mean you can set your watch by it !
Well yesterday he didn't budge..he slept for another two hours until I got worried and gently woke him up, ..he went and ate..then fell asleep in his food dish ..woke up later, made his way to his water then went back over to his cool side and went to sleep. I was worried he was sick or something, no sign of anything... So I turned out his lights and at midnight he was stomping all over the place! Flipped his food bowl and kept pushing it all over, flipped his hide and pushed it all the way down to the other end and into his water bowl! So finally at 4am I get up and feed him some Mazuri (that's right full belly and he will sleep) and sure enough after about a half hour he went to sleep, he then slept most of the day today, so I woke him up and soaked him for a good 45 mins, changing water so it stayed warm. He ate and acted normal.....then he went to sleep as soon as the sun went down.

Should I change the times his lights are on? I am keeping an eye on him for signs of an RI but other than his strange sleeping habits he seems fine...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Haha, I don't know, but your description of his midnight madness was hilarious. I wouldn't turn the lights out during the day though. Even if he is sleeping during most of it.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Very funny! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. Sounds like Tyrone is using drugs!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Haha, I don't know, but your description of his midnight madness was hilarious. I wouldn't turn the lights out during the day though. Even if he is sleeping during most of it.

Well let me tell you, between his midnight madness and his love sessions with his food bowl...I am beside myself!

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Funny ,I think he's hitting teenage , starting to party all night ,rough housing ,trashing his room .just make sure he's not sneaking cigarettes or worse pot smoking .hide the car keys too. ...this must be a red foot ,they can be quite the characters .i bet he's really fine but they can get an attitude ,ever see one mad about plain food when they want some really ripe fruit? Can't help but love them ( a yellow foot would never behave in such a manner )

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
edwardbo said:
Funny ,I think he's hitting teenage , starting to party all night ,rough housing ,trashing his room .just make sure he's not sneaking cigarettes or worse pot smoking .hide the car keys too. ...this must be a red foot ,they can be quite the characters .i bet he's really fine but they can get an attitude ,ever see one mad about plain food when they want some really ripe fruit? Can't help but love them ( a yellow foot would never behave in such a manner )

Well I tell you it is 3am and he has humped his rock and is now running back and forth ...he flipped his hide and is pacing back and forth... He went to the corner and is trying to climb it ! So he must be trying to sneak out! I swear I am about to give him a stern talking too!

Yes he is an RF ...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Sounds like a trouble maker, enjoyed reading this thread!

I wouldn't change the lights. Keep the cycle as it is, let Tyrone do his thing. I do feel bad that he is keeping you up at night, but I wouldn't reward his nocturnal behavior with food otherwise you may be breeding a monster.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
compassrose26 said:
Your descriptions are fantastic. How old is tyrone?

I would say he is about 7 yrs old..... We have had him 4 years. We got him from a pet store that told us he was anywhere from 3-5 years old. he was in sad shape, pyramided and being kept on dry sand and no water available! I thought sure he would die in the first week we had him. but he rallied after getting the proper set up.

I really can't imagine what life was like before him, I adore him!

Redstrike said:
Sounds like a trouble maker, enjoyed reading this thread!

I wouldn't change the lights. Keep the cycle as it is, let Tyrone do his thing. I do feel bad that he is keeping you up at night, but I wouldn't reward his nocturnal behavior with food otherwise you may be breeding a monster.

Oh dear! I think I have already created that monster! I didn't even think about it ...but now that I do, I am spoiling him rotten!!!!'!!

Well great! I am going to have to resist the urge to feed him tonight ...wish me luck! :/

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Well I have resisted the urge to feed Tyrone in the middle of the night ... He is waking up now at 4:30 am ... And he is hungry, I got up at 5:15 this morning turned on his lights and fed him,( I usually turn them on at 7:30-8:30) he was so darn active! Then around noon he went down for a nap, under the heat light. He then woke up a few hours later took a loop around, stopped for a drink and went back to sleep and has been sleeping since! I usually offer him a little more food in the afternoon, but he is sleeping away. I also usually turn light off at 9:30- 10:30 so I have a 12 hour daylight 12 hour night ... Should I stick with the 12 hour cycle? I am trying to get him back to lights on at 7-8am and off at 7-8pm...but he wants to be up at 4 am!

It seems once the season changed he has gotten sleepier.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Well I have resisted the urge to feed Tyrone in the middle of the night ... He is waking up now at 4:30 am ... And he is hungry, I got up at 5:15 this morning turned on his lights and fed him,( I usually turn them on at 7:30-8:30) he was so darn active! Then around noon he went down for a nap, under the heat light. He then woke up a few hours later took a loop around, stopped for a drink and went back to sleep and has been sleeping since! I usually offer him a little more food in the afternoon, but he is sleeping away. I also usually turn light off at 9:30- 10:30 so I have a 12 hour daylight 12 hour night ... Should I stick with the 12 hour cycle? I am trying to get him back to lights on at 7-8am and off at 7-8pm...but he wants to be up at 4 am!

A 12 hour cycle is fine. My personal preference is to feed once/day maximum, mine also get "skip days" where they aren't fed at all. Feeding once/day may decrease his tantrums at the a**crack of dawn...? I also think twice/day is overfeeding given they are poikilothermic and have a very low metabolic rate relative to birds & mammals.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:

A 12 hour cycle is fine. My personal preference is to feed once/day maximum, mine also get "skip days" where they aren't fed at all. Feeding once/day may decrease his tantrums at the a**crack of dawn...? I also think twice/day is overfeeding given they are poikilothermic and have a very low metabolic rate relative to birds & mammals.

I should say the afternoon is usually a small thing..a mushroom, an extra strawberry or apple slice...not a complete meal.

I borrowed a temp gun to double check my temps .... Guess what?! MYSTERY solved... It showed temps at 75 on the cool end and 80 on the high end. Guess who is getting a new temp gun today.

I moved lights and added one ...now have cool end at 83 and warm end 92. I feel bad he has had a week or so of not so warm temps.

Lesson learned boys and girls... When they start acting different check and double check then check again!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Those temps are likely fine, but I usually run things a bit cooler. Cool end of 80-82 and a warm end of 84-86, again your's may be fine at 83 - 90 respectively.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
Those temps are likely fine, but I usually run things a bit cooler. Cool end of 80-82 and a warm end of 84-86, again your's may be fine at 83 - 90 respectively.

He always seems to like it a little warmer.. Always has. If his warm end isn't 90 he don't move so much. He is a finicky and fickle fella! But I do adore is antics!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
He must have been feeling warm and frisky... He woke me up at 2:30 loving on a pile of substrate... His head was inside his hide, which caused it to echo and make his love noise even louder than usual! ... I need to rent him a girlfriend!