A good care sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham, WA
I emailed someone about a 6 month old marginated on craigslist, which of course is no guarantee that they'll even reply, let alone that I'll actually end up with the tort... but I digress.

I haven't had a marginated tort before, and while I imagine the care would be similar to our Greek and Russians, I've also never had any of those species as a juvenile. When I got the Greek, he was about 3-5 years old, and the Russians were a couple years older still. I want to be prepared in the event that this works out, so I'm looking for a good care sheet for the little guy ahead of time, so I know what I'm getting into.

Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Marginateds can be kept exactly like Ibera Greeks and Hermann's tortoises. I've always kept all Northern Mediterranean species and Russians tortoises identically for several years now and have never noticed any adverse effects with any of them. The only difference is with the Russian tortoises. I provide some, but not as much constant humidity as with the true Northern Mediterraneans.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Thanks -

After spending so much time on my new sulcata babies and my little boxy, I've gotten the HOT AND HUMID thing drilled into me. Would a 6 month old need the humidity/soakings that the sulcatas do? If anyone has pics of a setup for young marginateds/greeks/hermann's/russians, etc, I'd really like to see them so I know what to go for.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Marginateds are from the Mediterranean (warm humid air) so they are more accustomed to warm, humid air moreso than a Sulcata would be in the wild. In captivity, we generally keep all young tortoises in a moistened substrate to facilitate smooth growth. Outdoors adult Marginateds do equally as well in the Southwestern U.S. the Southeast or the Northeast. All of which have very different temperature and humidity levels.

Photos are of my enclosures for hatchling and young Northern Mediterranean and Russian tortoises. I have some better ones somewhere that show the set ups more, I'll see if I can find them.

enclosure-10.jpg

Redfootsubstrate.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.