Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My Russian pen was built on an area of the driveway, which consisted of decomposed granite with little dirt. I re-habbed the pen last summer, adding compost and dirt, and sowed a Mediteranean Seed mixture that I bought online. The seeds came up and I was happy to see all these little broad leafed plantlets, but a couple more weeks and grass sprouted. There was so much grass that it shaded and crowded out the broad leaf plantlets. I was very disappointed, as my Russians don’t eat grass. So I was out in their pen the past several days, sitting on a short stool and pulling up the clumps of grass by hand, bit-by-bit. Took me three days to clear it all out of there. This morning as I was finishing up, a little male Russian walked over to the last clump of grass…a new clump that just sprouted last week…and started eating it!!!!!!!!!! So I guess I’ve been wrong all this time. My Russians DO eat grass. But they sure didn’t eat it last year! (Or did they??)

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
You should certainly know that they always want what they don't have!!!! LOL

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
ROFL well that just figures, doesn't it!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
None of my russians have ever eaten the grass, but they love those broadleaf plants and clover. The blend I planted last year, started coming up last month and it has taken over half of the pen. Now I am waiting for the clover and the grass seed I planted for the sulcatas. But what a bummer 3 days of pulling only to find they ate it.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Mine will eat wide bladed grass, but will leave the thin grass alone. :D

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Well there you have it. They just want a full variety of everything. Sorry Yvonne, you spent so much time pulling it up. But if it was crowding out the other plants it would have had to come out anyway. I don't have russians but my Greeks are as Danny has said, but maybe it was that they were new and fresh seedlings that made the difference.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
your story made me chuckle :)
nothing like a picky but indecisive tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.