A Newbie needs a lot of advise for his sulcata enclosure

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
We're all here to help! Glad to see the humidity dropped.
I actually have a big paver stone under my basking lamp, so it's always dry. So my tort (she's a little unusual for her species because she loves to bask) sits on that and basks.
It's great because the stone is dry and warm so if the substrate was too humid it gives your tort a place to dry out their plastron. You could give that a try too if you're worried about MBD or shell rot. :D

Fredkas

5 Year Member
All I can say is WOW! What a nice, big enclosure. The only thing missing are some plants and a picture of the tortoise.
Spider plants are awesome indoor plants.
They're cheap too.
Just make sure you get chemical free ones (free from pesticides and stuff like that), or wait 6 months before allowing your tort to much on them.

You might be able to get small hostas (I don't know if they have dwarf ones but that would be nice). And if they get too big you can always keep it outdoors and give your tort a couple leaves every now and then for food.

Snake plant can work too. These can get really tall though.
And I think if you get any opituna cactus you could try planting one in there but I don't know if the enclosure would be tall enough or not.
Help me identify this plant please.
Pic A.
F3hzumNh.jpg

Pic B.
K6UwY82h.jpg

Pic C.
iJ4mbWUh.jpg

Pic D.
eDZFNrsh.jpg

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I finally get the plant identified. So i will answer my own question lol because this is important for other tort lovers.
Pic A and pic D is sansevieria a.k.a snake plant. It has a lot of variety. Edible.
Pic B and pic C is dumb cane. Toxic. Remember the plant, those are toxic for our tort. Not edible.

Reactions: Rue