Question about humidity and heating

HewHermannsmum

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield
Hi,
I'm a (very) new Hermann's tortoise owner.
I've attached the picture of his table. I have just changed the substrate to coco coir and orchid bark on top.
I have one heat + UVB/UVA bulb light. The basking temperature is about 38°C right at the centre, 30°C round the outside. The "hotside" is about 25°C and cool side 18°C. The whole table drops to room temp. 18°C at night.
My question is about humidity and heat. Will these temperatures be sufficient to be safe from respiratory problems? I want to keep a high enough humidity (difficult on a table!). But will 60% humidity at 18°C be too wet and cold? Mostly worried about when the temp. drops at night and the coco coir is still damp.
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The table needs to be covered and temps and humidity read at tortoise level. Your disc like gauges are not only too high but are very inaccurate. Get digital gauges and place at tort level and cover the enclosure. It never works with an open top table.

HewHermannsmum

Sheffield
They are digital gauges, but I see what you mean. I have read lots of conflicting info about whether or not to cover the table...I'll look into how I can cover it. Any cheap DIY ideas?
I test the temps at tortoise shell level every morning with the digital thermometers and hygrometers. They're just stuck there at the moment because that's where the velcro is, but I will change that!
So is 18-20°C too cold at the cool side?
The humidity at tortoise shell level is between 50-60%.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh sorry forgot the picture! View attachment 322722
Those temps sound close enough. I would opt for a little night heat, but you'll probably be okay without it. I like 20-21 for youngin's on the cool side and over night, but 18 will do. Be sure to keep the substrate damp, and add a humid hide. Covering part or all of the top will make your life easier and the tortoise's life better. A viv is really a better way to go for small ones, and sources that say other wise are repeating the common old wrong info. People who say that have never done it, and start calling me names when I show them thousands of examples that prove them wrong.

That bulb looks like a spot bulb. That is not good. Those focus too much heat into too small of an area and they cause pyramiding. Get a larger flood bulb instead and hang it directly over head so you can adjust the fixture up or down to get the correct temperature. Clamps will always fail and can kill your tortoise and burn your house down.

Here is all the current and correct care info:

HewHermannsmum

Sheffield
Great thanks Tom :)
I will make those changes as soon as I can. I'm happy for now that the temps and humidity seem ok.
I have read through your entire care sheet - really helpful thanks.
It feels like every day there's something new to change and work on, but I am determined to get this right!
Quick question: how high up/low down should my floodlight be as a rough guide? Obviously you move it according to temperature (I have also ordered a more accurate infrared gun thermometer). But just as a rough starting point?