redfoot temps and humidity

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi everyone.

I've recently rearranged my 4x6ft tort table around. I've put all the light and heat to one end so I can try and get a steady decline in temp from heated end to the end with hides with the lighting following the heat. I've also put plexiglass on as lids now so it is more of a closed unit. I've just bought 6 digital humidity and temp gages, so I can place them everywhere. These gauges are accurate to= humidity +/-5% and temp 1deg c. I've checked these gauges and another I have with each other and the Humidity fell in within 7% and temp within 0.5deg c. So i'm happy with them.
At the heated end I have got 150watt and a 100watt CHE on a thermostat ,then I have a 150watt spot bulb and a 10%uvb strip light on all day. My digital gauges are stood on rocks at substrate level.

So the results I am getting are

Heated end is kicking in at 32c (90f) and off at 34c (93f) with humidity at 65%. Then it declines at a steady drop to 23c(73f) with humidity at 99% at the hides. Are these figures ok, I wanted the cooler end at about 27c(80f), I've had the heated end up to 36C(97f) but it didn't lift cooler end up. Any ideas or is this OK. Will I have to put another CHE half way down the table on a different thermostat set at 27c(80f). How long would you expect a 4x6ft closed environment to settle down to its ambient temps, Has been a couple of hrs now.
Also this table is 16" high.
Since I changed this table around a few days ago my torts do seem more active. Only today have I added the plexiglass.

Any advice please
Thank you
Craig

.photo (1).JPG

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is there a formula to work out how many watts are needed to heat a certain size area to a specific temp. Or is there even a general rule of thumb to follow. Or is it a case of trial and error.
Surely when a zoo is setting up a new animal enclosure that requires heat, they can work out the required wattage for the enclosure size and required temp before hand.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My R.F are kept between 75 and 90 degrees and seem to prefer the 78-82 degree range. I would consider below 75 to be too cool and above 95 to be too high. (For constant temps.) The humidity is between 65% and 100%. In doors and out. I bring them inside when the temps drop below 60. Their outside house has a heater and it can pull up the temps above 60. They don't really bask much. They like it warm and appreciate an area to retreat to if it gets too warm. In the daytime, my torts generally walk in the shadows of the plants. They will walk into the sunlit parts to eat, etc. but then retreat.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My R.F are kept between 75 and 90 degrees and seem to prefer the 78-82 degree range. I would consider below 75 to be too cool and above 95 to be too high. (For constant temps.) The humidity is between 65% and 100%. In doors and out. I bring them inside when the temps drop below 60. Their outside house has a heater and it can pull up the temps above 60. They don't really bask much. They like it warm and appreciate an area to retreat to if it gets too warm. In the daytime, my torts generally walk in the shadows of the plants. They will walk into the sunlit parts to eat, etc. but then retreat.
Thanks my cool end is now at 76f, maybe I'm been a little impatient. need to let the whole environment heat through.
So I've virtually imitated indoor what you get in a more natural outdoor environment. :)
For how long in a year would you say your weather temp drops below 60f.
Thanks again

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There are only a dozen or so days that the temps here drop far below 60. Although it can get into the high 40s. I have an enclosed "sun room" that I bring them in to and toss them into big tote boxes with a heat lamp dangling above them. My baby sleeps inside EVERY night. He has a closed chamber. With the baby, I fear predators more than the temperatures.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Amyfoot, these are adults/sub-adults that go in and out of the table and roam the whole room, right? If they are adults then thats a decent temperature gradient. I would try to get your warm end down to under 90, but they like to have a warm area to bask anyways, and when they are offered cooler retreats, and the ambient temp of the room itself, then the temps should be fine. I would try to bring the humidity in the whole box up to 80+% though. Hot and dry isn't their style. ;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Amyfoot, these are adults/sub-adults that go in and out of the table and roam the whole room, right? If they are adults then thats a decent temperature gradient. I would try to get your warm end down to under 90, but they like to have a warm area to bask anyways, and when they are offered cooler retreats, and the ambient temp of the room itself, then the temps should be fine. I would try to bring the humidity in the whole box up to 80+% though. Hot and dry isn't their style. ;)
Thanks Pete

I've got humidity from 77% to 95% now.