A question about Aestivation

Butterfly_Pea

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Hello everyone,

Is it normal for Greek Tortoises to burry themselves underground for months during summer? whenever they wake up, they have a very bad appetite and refuse to eat, they walk around for a while and they go back underground. The temperature here is 37 celsius, sometimes bit higher. Their appetite was normal before summer, they were active and playful, but not anymore.
Should i be worried?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do they have lots of shade and deep shade? Sounds like it's too hot so they are digging down.
I don't know Greeks, but that's the reason most dig down for.
You could add yard misters to help cool the area, shade cloth, and try to plant safe bushes for deeper shade.
If they already have lots of shade/deep shade, maybe try the misters.
I'm not sure which members on here are big on Greeks, so I'm not sure who to alert to your thread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,

Is it normal for Greek Tortoises to burry themselves underground for months during summer? whenever they wake up, they have a very bad appetite and refuse to eat, they walk around for a while and they go back underground. The temperature here is 37 celsius, sometimes bit higher. Their appetite was normal before summer, they were active and playful, but not anymore.
Should i be worried?
No it is not normal. There is a problem.

It doesn't help us to help you when you put "Earth" as your location. We can offer better help if we know what part of the world you live in. We don't need an address, just the general area. You'll get different advice for Sahara Africa than for Anchorage Alaska.

Please post pictures of your enclosure. Is the tortoise inside or outside?

When is it 37C there? Is that the mid day high? What is the over night low?