A Scary Surprise…

ShellingtonTheFirst

Location (City and/or State)
London
We’ve been experiencing really hot weather here recently so Shelly’s CHE has been switched off as well as his doors left wide open during the night. This morning I went to check on him and low and behold… my cat was rather majestically snuggled up in one of the corners of the viv, orchid bark stuck all over him while Shelly was at the other end of the viv staring me out like, ‘Really bxtch? 😐’

I wish I’d taken a picture but I panicked and shooed my cat out. But damn! Lesson learnt. 😐

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We’ve been experiencing really hot weather here recently so Shelly’s CHE has been switched off as well as his doors left wide open during the night. This morning I went to check on him and low and behold… my cat was rather majestically snuggled up in one of the corners of the viv, orchid bark stuck all over him while Shelly was at the other end of the viv staring me out like, ‘Really bxtch? 😐’

I wish I’d taken a picture but I panicked and shooed my cat out. But damn! Lesson learnt. 😐
Your CHE should be on a thermostat. It shouldn't be just plugged in and "on", or unplugged and "off".

If the enclosure is getting too hot during the day, you might need a lower wattage basking bulb. There shouldn't be any need for the doors to remain open day or night.

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
Your CHE should be on a thermostat. It shouldn't be just plugged in and "on", or unplugged and "off".

If the enclosure is getting too hot during the day, you might need a lower wattage basking bulb. There shouldn't be any need for the doors to remain open day or night.

…my CHE is on a thermostat.

It’s getting too hot in there at the moment because of the heatwave we’re having right now, as mentioned in my original post.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
It has been fabulous UK weather for tortoise, Speedy has been out everyday to his outside enclosure and back in at night.

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
It has been fabulous UK weather for tortoise, Speedy has been out everyday to his outside enclosure and back in at night.
Unfortunately Shellys outdoor enclosure is still a work in progress and won’t be finished for another couple of weeks! He’s only been allowed supervised outdoor time at the moment. I can’t wait until he’s able to be out there all day every day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Why keep them on during the summer at all when it's usually too hot for it to come on anyway? All mine gets unplugged or turned off unless we are having a cold streak, then they get plugged in or turned back on thermostat or not.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why keep them on during the summer at all when it's usually too hot for it to come on anyway? All mine gets unplugged or turned off unless we are having a cold streak, then they get plugged in or turned back on thermostat or not.
Because its London. They seldom see warm temperatures like what you experience all summer long every year. They do have warm spells, but those are usually short lived. If people unplug their CHE thermostats and a cold night comes on, a RI is possible and likely in some scenarios. For people in my climate where it is 100 (37C) degrees every day from June through October, sure, go ahead and unplug it. For everyone else, its a good idea to leave it plugged in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because its London. They seldom see warm temperatures like what you experience all summer long every year. They do have warm spells, but those are usually short lived. If people unplug their CHE thermostats and a cold night comes on, a RI is possible and likely in some scenarios. For people in my climate where it is 100 (37C) degrees every day from June through October, sure, go ahead and unplug it. For everyone else, its a good idea to leave it plugged in.
I see, okay, that makes sense then.

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
Because it’s London. They seldom see warm temperatures like what you experience all summer long every year. They do have warm spells, but those are usually short lived. If people unplug their CHE thermostats and a cold night comes on, a RI is possible and likely in some scenarios. For people in my climate where it is 100 (37C) degrees every day from June through October, sure, go ahead and unplug it. For everyone else, it’s a good idea to leave it plugged in.
I’ve been checking the nightly temps every day before going to bed, and yes, I’ve had his CHE unplugged, COMPLETELY, for about a week now. 😁 Tonight will be the first time it’s going back on since then, considering there’s going to be a low of 13c.