Abandoned hatchling....please help me identify

Jt93420

image.jpeg I live in CA but I believe this hatchling may be from Nevada. I found it in a small aquarium in the empty house next door to me. The house was foreclosed on and the homeowners had moved back to Las Vegas (they lived in Vegas prior to moving here) and left their pets behind ( this hatchling, a young cat and a larger tortoise which another neighbor took). I have no idea what kind of tortoise it is. Please help me identify so I can properly care for it. Thank u in advance. I have been feeding it dandelions and hibiscus and grass from my lawn. It seems to have a healthy appetite and is active all day long. I just read about the importance of soaking and plan to do it daily. He just enjoyed a 15 min soak. He does appear to have a dry shell and the top of his head is scaly and dry and I'm not sure if it should be. Thank u in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
We need to see a picture. Please upload by clicking on "upload a File" right next to the "Post Reply" button on your computer screen. Select the picture, and click on thumbnail or full size. Then post...

Jt93420

We need to see a picture. Please upload by clicking on "upload a File" right next to the "Post Reply" button on your computer screen. Select the picture, and click on thumbnail or full size. Then post...
Can u see it now?

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
There are some great Greek tortoise care sheets on the forum that will give you all the info you need

Rue

Canada
It is so nice of you to rescue this adorable baby.

...and congrats!

Jt93420

I'm sorry about the duplicate photos ....I am just learning. Thank u all for the help. What is a good substrate for his home?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
You have a baby desert tortoise. Where in California are you? If you are within their native range, I am not sure what the legalities of taking it from the wild (assuming you found it in the yard, not the house?).

Jt93420

He wasn't in the wild ...he was in an aquarium in an abandoned, foreclosed upon home. There was a larger...much larger....tortoise that looked just like him on the premises also...maybe the parent? Idk but if there are legal penalties it hardly seems like I am the one who should be in trouble....I am trying to help....he surely would have died.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You have a little desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii). They are a protected species. It is ok for you to keep him, but once he reaches about 3 years of age, you'll need to apply for a permit. The desert tortoise belongs to the State, (since he lives in California, he belongs to the state of California), but with the permit, you will be his caretaker. The permits are easy to obtain, and you don't have to worry about any government agency making visits to your property.

The baby looks like he would benefit from living in a more humid environment. What kind of substrate are you using?

Jt93420

What should I use? I haven't created his home yet....he was in an aquarium with sand and I read that he shouldn't be. What is best? I will get it tonigh.