Abigail update

haylee345

Location (City and/or State)
Durham, North Carolina
Her tortoise seed mix is growing in well, and she's pretty good at letting it grow. Which is good because I've been worried about not feeding her enough variety from the grocery store.

Is 75-80% humidity ok? I'm seriously struggling to get it higher. Does she look like she's growing in smooth? She feels like it... I've only had her 2.5 weeks. She's about two months old now.

image.jpeg

She is enjoying her farmers market braising mix though

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
She looks great. I think the humidity is fine as long as you do daily warm soaks to aid hydration. I can see that look in her eye that you have a good healthy baby ;)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yep she looks gorgeous. Looks like the first month she might have been dry but all the more recent growth looks nice and smooth....good job. I wish I found my boy when he was that small. I only got him 6-7 months ago. He's 4 now. He's the typical "how not to raise a tortoise" demo. Pyramided pretty good...here's pics of mine as a baby the previous owner just sent me last month and a picture of him more recently.

Are her back toenails real long on her right back foot or is it the pic?

Attachments

• DSC00474.JPG
    DSC00474.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20150907_141348.jpg
    IMG_20150907_141348.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, looking good. If you don't have a cover on the enclosure, then adding one will help you keep heat in better and humidity up. The 80% is what is strived for, so your 75-80 is doing pretty good.

haylee345

Durham, North Carolina
I think her toenails are kinda long, but not as long as they look in the top picture. Second picture is more accurate. She has big pieces of slate and river rock in her enclosure, but she's only recently really walking around much. Her water dish is terra cotta but I don't think she uses it. She mostly drinks during her daily soak.

haylee345

Durham, North Carolina
Yep she looks gorgeous. Looks like the first month she might have been dry but all the more recent growth looks nice and smooth....good job. I wish I found my boy when he was that small. I only got him 6-7 months ago. He's 4 now. He's the typical "how not to raise a tortoise" demo. Pyramided pretty good...here's pics of mine as a baby the previous owner just sent me last month and a picture of him more recently.

Are her back toenails real long on her right back foot or is it the pic?

He's pretty! I like how he looks like a Dalmatian. Abigail's mom is pretty light too, so I'm hoping she'll grow in light. Of course I'll think she's perfect however she turns out. He seems big for four too.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
He's pretty! I like how he looks like a Dalmatian. Abigail's mom is pretty light too, so I'm hoping she'll grow in light. Of course I'll think she's perfect however she turns out. He seems big for four too.
Yep. Surprisingly. He is big for 4yrs. He's over 8 pounds now and almost 12 inches. The home he had before was a square exoterra tank. He could barely turn around in it! Unbelievable, I know. I saw it though. He has a 4x6 home now. It's still on the small side but it'll do til the family moves to Florida next year.

haylee345

Durham, North Carolina
I think I'll use this thread to post adorable pics of Abigail, ask questions and track her progress for my own records.

So here she is at three months old!
image.jpeg

She's 99 grams already, and she seems to gain about two grams a day. Is that ok? Should I start feeding her every other day?

image.jpeg

I'm still looking for a good mix to feed her. So far she's mostly been eating kale, collards, and mustard greens. She also nibbles on parsley and the grass from tortoise supplies seed mix. Can I feed her a spring mix even if it has romaine lettuce or baby spinach in it?
image.jpeg

I had a complete freak out last night because there are bugs EVERYWHERE! Teeny tiny little soil lice, I think. So a friend is bringing me rolie polies tomorrow. Also, I think my coco coir is too wet. Humidity stays above 80%. I'm thinking I should hold off on misting for a few days to see if it dried out.
image.jpeg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I feed my boy spring mix. There are two types at the stores, both have spinach, but one has 'with spinach' or something along those lines written front and center. I DON'T get that one. He gets Mazuri or mushrooms on a bed of spring mix daily and a huge cactus pad weekly when I have them. I wouldn't skip a day...

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Beautiful Leo. Looking great. I think those bugs hatch from the Coco coir...... I had the same problem in my redfoots enclosure. I had some Nagoya cabbage plants in there and those bugs destroyed them. Bu they went away after a while..... Try the herbal hay from tortoise supply as well..... good stuff!

haylee345

Durham, North Carolina
.5 oz in less than two weeks! She's 113 grams now and just barely over 3 months old. She's going to be monstrous! And I was hoping she would be content living mostly indoors for at least two years. Guess I'm going to have to speed up my house hunt... IMG_0234.JPG

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
She is a great looking leopard. Keep up the good work

haylee345

Durham, North Carolina
Four Month Update!!! 128 grams.

Her top scutes were looking bumpy so I raised her lamps about 6 inches. I know it's debated, but I also rub her shell with a bit of extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil every other week or so. I don't see how it could hurt anything at least, and maybe it'll help. I'm in favor of pampering my pets, so if nothing else she gets a nice shell rub and a close inspection.

IMG_0444.JPGIMG_0460.JPG IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0452.JPG IMG_0442.JPG