Meet Abigail!

haylee345

Location (City and/or State)
Durham, North Carolina
My baby leopard finally arrived! I got her from Vicki at tortoiseyard and everything about her and my experience was perfect.
Screenshot_2015-10-28-20-44-16.png

Yesterday was a loooong day. We had to get Abby's home built! We used 1/2in pine plywood, sprayed it with waterproofer, and lined bottoms and gap with thick plastic.
IMAG0661.jpg

The top level will eventually be finished and connected with a ramp. There will be foot wide patios on each level eventually as well, with ramps. Each level is 48x32x15. Front wall is on hinges for easy access and clean up.
IMAG0674.jpg

Then the fun part... Decorating! I used natural top soil, coco coir, cyprus mulch, and sphagnum moss. Lights are a 10.0 uva/uvb strip light, black ambient coop bulb, and 75w flood. Ended up lowering the flood, but temps are perfect now!I did end up removing the pothos. She couldn't resist it. Guess I'll buy plastic plants after all for shade. IMAG0666.jpg

Abigail arrived this morning , gorgeous and ready to rule her new world.
IMAG0681.jpg

Took her a little bit to start wandering around and for now she mostly wedges herself in places, but that's ok. She'll be stomping around confidently soon. She enjoyed some kale before going to hide again. Eventually I'll be able to offer her some homegrown grazing tortoise mix and hibiscus, but for now she gets organic grocery greens.
IMAG0689_BURST002.jpg

Isn't she perfect!
IMAG0687.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
I would consider some tough spider plants. They tolerate low light and tortoises don't usually eat them.
In my experience, I have seen plastic plants get nibbled.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, now you did a great job. I'm assuming you have a good high humidity in there too right? The pothos plant is okay for her to eat. I would leave it in there. She is a cutie for sure.

haylee345

Durham, North Carolina
Wow, now you did a great job. I'm assuming you have a good high humidity in there too right? The pothos plant is okay for her to eat. I would leave it in there. She is a cutie for sure.

Thank you! I'm still struggling a bit with humidity. I keep her habitat closed and pour water into the substrate, but my spray bottle broke after I used it once :/ Right now I think it's around 70%.

I'm trying to find some chemical-free plants, but the pothos was from Lowe's. I cleaned all the old soil off, but the leaves are already tainted. I'm trying to grow some chia in there too. Thanks for the advice about plastic plants. I was worried about her eating those too. Does spider grass do well in really high humidity?

Last edited:

haylee345

Durham, North Carolina
Here are some updated pics now that she's roaming around and eating everything. The brown spot on the cuttlebone has grown. What is it? Should I throw it away? Am I supposed to remove the hard back?

IMAG0740.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

IMAG0749.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Looks good!

The brown on the cuttlebone might be mold. I'm not sure if it is but whenever mine have that, I scrape it off.