Abnorman shell growth

Adamcoppler

Location (City and/or State)
SAN TAN VALLEY
My leopard tort is a little over a year old. I've asked the breeder about this many times over the last year being told each time this is normal. However I am still concerned about the abnormal indentation that has grown to be my tortoises shell. I have attached a picture. Any advice on how to prevent this in the future would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

Attachments

• 16520612404602316720767218196152.jpg
    16520612404602316720767218196152.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

TaylorTortoise

Abington
This is not good. It might be MBD but do not quote me on this. Any shell deformity usually stems from that.

@Tom

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Let's see a rotational picture on each side of the shell; and how alert the tortoise looks. Usually, we recommend to adjust/ fix the enclosure (pics will be required to help make adjustments) If the tortoise is not showing any lethargic symptoms and eating, sleeping, active we usually say there is nothing to worry about (present) but that doesn't mean that future issues wont occur due to past health. What you want to do, is prevent anything else from happening to extend its longevity.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Aw'ww poor Baby, that does NOT look Normal, There have been others here that ask about a dented Carapace, but never so defined.
If I had to guess it is a Hatching defect.
At this point in time there is NO repair as I know for this, BUT you CAN start giving this lil one the best care to remediate it's early life.
Did the lil ones white nose issue get taken care of?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree that it is not normal. I don't know the cause, so I don't have a suggestion for a correction, but if the diet, calcium intake, temps, hydration and UV are all good, I would not worry about it.

Adamcoppler

SAN TAN VALLEY
Yes the tortoise eats, sleeps moves around as far far as I am concerned, acts like a normal tortois would. I feed it a variety of greens and it had started when it was roughly 5 months old