Leopard Tortoise Shell dent?

Tinur

Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Hi! I was wondering if this little dent shaped like a line is normal during shell growth? I’ve noticed it for a month and thought it would go away but it seems to be more pronounced now?

My leopard tortoise is 5 months old and I’ve had her 3 months. I was also wondering if she’s starting to show signs of abnormal pyramiding?

Attachments

• DDC86350-771C-45DB-8377-99D4A64C9458.jpeg
    DDC86350-771C-45DB-8377-99D4A64C9458.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
  • E36118CE-802F-42A3-9BAC-DB0A9A071DFF.jpeg
    E36118CE-802F-42A3-9BAC-DB0A9A071DFF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • C76DB282-46AC-46BA-8C71-35E4904FA946.jpeg
    C76DB282-46AC-46BA-8C71-35E4904FA946.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Hi! I was wondering if this little dent shaped like a line is normal during shell growth? I’ve noticed it for a month and thought it would go away but it seems to be more pronounced now?

My leopard tortoise is 5 months old and I’ve had her 3 months. I was also wondering if she’s starting to show signs of abnormal pyramiding?
I personally can’t see the dent your talking about, if you could take a close up of it I might be able to spot it. Yes she is pyramiding, do you have her in an opened topped enclosure? Read this care sheet...

nicoleann2214

NY

I don’t see any problems. Nice looking tort!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
same, I dont see a dent, but i do see the pyramiding, unless that's what you meant by dent...
If you follow Toms care guide you can help her not to continue pyramiding and make her as smooth and healthy as she can be. Whats there cant be fixed, but you can help the newer growth ?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az

I don't know why anybody else can't see it it's right in between the first and second scute above her tail and kind of looks like a crack or a missing piece of shell triangular in shape right in between the two scutes you can't miss it!!!... however I don't know what to tell you about it my leopard had an indentation in the plastron but has since grown out she's almost 9 months by the way how much does your tort weigh sure is a beauty....??

Tinur

Honolulu
I personally can’t see the dent your talking about, if you could take a close up of it I might be able to spot it. Yes she is pyramiding, do you have her in an opened topped enclosure? Read this care sheet...

Yes unfortunately I did have her in an open top :( I’m setting her up in a plastic bin today! Thank you!

Tinur

Honolulu
same, I dont see a dent, but i do see the pyramiding, unless that's what you meant by dent...
If you follow Toms care guide you can help her not to continue pyramiding and make her as smooth and healthy as she can be. Whats there cant be fixed, but you can help the newer growth ?

Thank you :) I’m getting everything I need to set her up in an enclosed bin today! Toms guide is amazing!

Tinur

Honolulu
I don't know why anybody else can't see it it's right in between the first and second scute above her tail and kind of looks like a crack or a missing piece of shell triangular in shape right in between the two scutes you can't miss it!!!... however I don't know what to tell you about it my leopard had an indentation in the plastron but has since grown out she's almost 9 months by the way how much does your tort weigh sure is a beauty....??

Haha thank you! I should’ve circled it but glad you were able to point it out. :) I’m not sure how much she weighs... ? Ah should I get a scale? What size scale would you recommend?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Haha thank you! I should’ve circled it but glad you were able to point it out. :) I’m not sure how much she weighs... ? Ah should I get a scale? What size scale would you recommend?
You can use a little Gram scale....probably get one on the internet for cheap

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
$14 amazon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200913-121930_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200913-121930_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 4

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
$14 amazon
After having one like that I would suggest more of a postal scale so you can use it longer they go up to like 110 pounds and can even be used for weighing luggage
1600030434945.png

Accuteck ShipPro 110lbs x 0.1 oz. Digital Shipping Postal Scale, Black (W-8580-110-Black)
Brand: Accuteck ShipPro
4.7 out of 5 stars 4,331 ratings

| 188 answered questions

List Price:$45.99
Price:$26.21 Prime FREE Delivery & FREE Returns
You Save:$19.78 (43%)

• Data cannot be transfered through USB cable
  • Extended cord with Large Backlit energy saving display; Has Hold, Tare function
  • Newest technology for easy calibration. Two way sided fold up mailer holder
  • Can Be powered by batteries, USB cable or Ac adapter. (All Included). Dimensions : 10 x 8 x 3 inches.
  • Capacity: 110 lb. capacity; Accuracy: 0.1oz, Reading Modes: Pounds/ounces, ounces, kilograms/grams, grams

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

Ha,Ha! For a leopard at least a 100 pound scale. They'll grow up. As to the shell wrinkle many many babies have creases, folds and dents in the shell from when they came out of the egg and everything more or less took on a normal open air shape. Realize that when they hatch they were squeesed in to the shape of the egg shell and not what they'd look like a week later. Kind of like the way a butterfly hatches out all wrinkled up and then its wings fill out and dry into adult beauty. Unless that part of the shell wears off that will be there the tortoises whole life long.

Tinur

Honolulu
Thank you for the recommendation!

After having one like that I would suggest more of a postal scale so you can use it longer they go up to like 110 pounds and can even be used for weighing luggage
View attachment 306235

Accuteck ShipPro 110lbs x 0.1 oz. Digital Shipping Postal Scale, Black (W-8580-110-Black)
Brand: Accuteck ShipPro
4.7 out of 5 stars 4,331 ratings

| 188 answered questions

List Price:$45.99
Price:$26.21 Prime FREE Delivery & FREE Returns
You Save:$19.78 (43%)

• Data cannot be transfered through USB cable
  • Extended cord with Large Backlit energy saving display; Has Hold, Tare function
  • Newest technology for easy calibration. Two way sided fold up mailer holder
  • Can Be powered by batteries, USB cable or Ac adapter. (All Included). Dimensions : 10 x 8 x 3 inches.
  • Capacity: 110 lb. capacity; Accuracy: 0.1oz, Reading Modes: Pounds/ounces, ounces, kilograms/grams, grams

Tinur

Honolulu
I see... that makes a lot of sense! Glad I found this forum... it’s been an amazing resource for a first time tortoise owner! :)

Ha,Ha! For a leopard at least a 100 pound scale. They'll grow up. As to the shell wrinkle many many babies have creases, folds and dents in the shell from when they came out of the egg and everything more or less took on a normal open air shape. Realize that when they hatch they were squeesed in to the shape of the egg shell and not what they'd look like a week later. Kind of like the way a butterfly hatches out all wrinkled up and then its wings fill out and dry into adult beauty. Unless that part of the shell wears off that will be there the tortoises whole life long.