About to rescue a tortoise - overwhelmed with info - all advice and suggestions welcome!

hjw33

Location (City and/or State)
Belfast
Hi Everyone, I am about to become the proud keeper of a rescued tortoise. I have been trying to research and read up on what is required for a while now but am feeling a bit overhwhelmed with all the information that's out there. I have attached some pictures of the tortoise and her current living conditions. I am just looking for some information as to what would be the ideal set up for her. I have a few options for pet shops nearby and can pick up what's needed in order to give her the best home. Thanks in advance!

IMG-20210104-WA0002.jpgIMG-20210104-WA0003.jpgIMG-20210104-WA0005.jpgIMG-20210104-WA0006.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Enclosure too smal for an adult Russian. They need a minimum of a 4x8 foot hopefully bigger and an outside enclosure for warm months. Do not use sand. The water dish is too small, use a clay saucer that the tort can get into.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

You've found what I think is the best place to find information about keeping tortoises.

The tortoise pictured appears to be a Russian Tortoise.

A great thread on their care

The Russian Tortoise sub-forum on TFO

If you read the first and scan the second, you'll be in pretty good shape to take care of your new tortoise... beyond that, if you come back with follow-up questions, you'll generally get answers in short order.

Jamie

hjw33

Belfast
Enclosure too smal for an adult Russian. They need a minimum of a 4x8 foot hopefully bigger and an outside enclosure for warm months. Do not use sand. The water dish is too small, use a clay saucer that the tort can get into.
Thank you - will add a shallow dish to my shopping list.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you - will add a shallow dish to my shopping list.
Just use a plant pot saucer or a paint roller pan for water.
At first I too thought your substrate is sand, but now I'm looking harder and is that sand or just plastic square? An adult Russian needs abt 85 degrees to help digest his food, also he needs exercise to help digest the food. That habitat shows you have some tortoise keeping knowledge. My summation: up the heat, deeper drinking and soaking dish, he will get used to his new digs and his health will improve, and you will be happy

Cocorene'

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Buckeye, Arizona
This is the best place to get all of your questions answered. You have come to the right place. Best of luck.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi welcome. AS your in the UK I get supplies from swell reptiles on linE which may help. Avoid sand and gravel. Phave a read of care sheets a day then make a list of supplies. Deep orchid bark substrate works well as it will dig and burrow down into it. Check heat, lights, humidity, regular soaks, food etc...
You can ask questions as you go if required. Nice looking tort.