Abscess on box turtles ear

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I was brought a Florida Box Turtle this weekend. Been a pet for a couple years. The turtle was being kept outside in a good pen by a teen.

His parents heard I keep tortoises and asked if I would take him since shes sick and they can't afford a vet.

Upon examination I find two problems. First a rather large abscess on her ear. And second a swelling on one front leg that looks almost like a fatty deposit or tumor under the skin close to shell.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447677931.162908.jpg

It is hard to get a pic of the growth on leg as she pulls in when handled.

Questions :
Has anyone had experience with an abscess like this and what was the treatment. And if you used a vet - what did they do ?

She is eating and active. Does not act sick.

Thanks. I'd like to see this little female survive , but don't want to see her in pain w/ o relief either.

I told them I would do what I could - no guarantees.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's really quite easy to express the 'stuff' from a tympanic abscess. I'll send you a PM if you're interested in trying it yourself.

I don't have experience with lumps on legs with the exception one time I got in a box turtle that had fox tails stuck in his skin. They had embedded fully and had to be surgically removed. But that's not what your lump sounds like.

Last edited:

Alaskamike

South Florida
It's really quite easy to express the 'stuff' from a tympanic abscess. I'll send you a PM if you're interested in trying it yourself.

I don't have experience with lumps on legs with the exception one time I got in a box turtle that had fox tails stuck in his skin. They had embedded fully and had to be surgically removed. But that's not what your lump sounds like.
Thanks Yvonne
Yes. I think I'll do it myself. Any advice is welcomed. I really think the leg lump is a fatty cyst. But the abscess is the most troublesome right now.

jorg

5 Year Member
Hello,

I had begin this year a radiated with a middle-ear irritation. The vet had to cut it open and remove the "dirt"
He also gave a little antibiotics for one day. But this on the picture looks very thick.