Abscess removal "VIDEO"

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
This is really disgusting but I learn something from it ! I thought you guys would like to watch it , no body speaks or anything is just the video no words or anything so language is not going to be a problem just watch it ! Super disgusting !! I never thought there could be so much nasty stuff in an abscess aghhh

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Wow, I can't believe how much was in there. Very interesting. That's for sharing.
Right !!!! Right when I thought they were done the doctor kept on getting more stuff out it's amazing in a really weird way lol

hessbrit

I work in a vet clinic and abscesses tend to be my favorite. Such instant gratification.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, it's best to make an X incision instead of just the one slice. The X opens it up bigger and most of the gunk comes out right away.

Now you see what I mean when I say the what you see on the outside (the bump) is just the tip of the ice burg. The swelling is mostly inside, and makes it very difficult for the animal to swallow food.

I didn't like that they used the hard tweezers to probe the incision. And they seemed to be pretty rough on the poor tortoise. But the video was very instructional and I'm glad you've posted it.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I work in a vet clinic and abscesses tend to be my favorite. Such instant gratification.
I don't think I could do something like that lol I was making funny facial expressions during the while video

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
In my opinion, it's best to make an X incision instead of just the one slice. The X opens it up bigger and most of the gunk comes out right away.

Now you see what I mean when I say the what you see on the outside (the bump) is just the tip of the iceburg. The swelling is mostly inside, and makes it very difficult for the animal to swallow food.
I never thought they could be that bad I swear If any of my tortoises ever has one I'm taking it to the bet as soon as I notice it .

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
that was so gross. unbelievable how much came out of the poor thing . but what would they do next? would it be stitched and a course of antibiotics? and what would happen to the void left behind?

majxmom

Actually, stitching is contraindicated as you want it to drain completely. Sometimes antibiotics are given but generally just opening the boil and draining the pus is enough, together with flushing with saline several times a day. The abscess has destroyed the tissue inside (hence the large chamber), and ideally you want to tissue to granulate from the inside out. So you just flush it to keep it from crusting over and sealing the chamber closed again. I know it looked rough on him but you want to break up any inner walls. He was a lot more comfortable an hour later, just as you are when you pop a big boil.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Can you put Vaseline or something after the abscess is removed ?

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Aghhhhhhh that was sooo disgusting ! Aghhhh thanks for sharing lol

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
There is a Vet that has a YouTube channel and he has a couple gross videos of turtle abscesses.

It's super gross: