AC Question

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I spend a lot of time in my sitting room/bedroom. It's a smallish house, but my room is about 50' from the roof mounted AC and evaporative cooler. I use the cooler up until when the temperature gets to and above 105°F, then I turn it off and turn the AC on. The cooler down drafts into a hallway directly under it and the air looks for ways out of the house, which means I have my bedroom window open about 6". But by the time the cool air goes all through the house to my bedroom it's not real cool anymore.

Almost the same deal with the AC, which is ducted into every room. I have closed off the vents in the rooms not used much, but being as how my room is about 50' away from the AC unit and the duct is going through a very hot attic, by the time the air reaches me it's not all that cool anymore.

Is there anything I can do to keep the air cool? I was wondering if I can wrap the duct that goes to my room with insulation???

(I have up ducts in a couple rooms that carry the evaporative cooler air into the attic to help cool it down, but I imagine it heats up in there pretty fast once the cooler is off)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
More insulation should help, but might also want to check to make sure it's cooling as much as it should or that it's not losing air through leaks in attic.

The roof package units aren't common for houses here at all, was interesting first time I saw them in Arizona.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Can you get a fan installed in the attic? It is installed through the roof and pulls the hot air out of the attic to the outside. Mine is set on a certain temperature which goes off automatically and in the winter I turn the switch off (located in my hallway).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So, you have an attic and can visually inspect the ducts?
Yeah. Look for leaks.
My vent ducts leak like a screen door. But there is very limited space in my ceiling/roof area and it's blown in, powdery insulation.
I'm not attempting going up there.
Unfortunately my master bedroom is the longest duct. That room runs about 76° when the rest of the house is 73°

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, you have an attic and can visually inspect the ducts?
Yeah. Look for leaks.
My vent ducts leak like a screen door. But there is very limited space in my ceiling/roof area and it's blown in, powdery insulation.
I'm not attempting going up there.
Unfortunately my master bedroom is the longest duct. That room runs about 76° when the rest of the house is 73°
I just checked mine and my house is 76°F (that's what the AC is set at), and my bedroom is 89°F