Acclimating

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
How long did it take you guys’ tortoise to warm up to you? I’ve had my four month old Burmese star for a little over a week and he wants absolutely nothing to do with me!😂 he won’t eat in front of me, hates when we soak but if I walk away he calms down, if I walk into the room where his enclosure is when he’s eating he stops and goes into his hide!! I know it takes time but I’m just curious if you guys had any input!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, give him some time. A week isn't long at all. Tortoises do everything slow. Yours has barely settled into its new home. Babies are easy prey and everything that wants to eat it comes from above the height of the tortoise, just like you coming at him. By around 3 to 6 months, maybe less, he will be a little more comfortable and as he gets bigger should get even more comfortable. Most will take a few years before they will come walking up to you and some never will.

rachelraines

ALABAMA
Wow, give him some time. A week isn't long at all. Tortoises do everything slow. Yours has barely settled into its new home. Babies are easy prey and everything that wants to eat it comes from above the height of the tortoise, just like you coming at him. By around 3 to 6 months, maybe less, he will be a little more comfortable and as he gets bigger should get even more comfortable. Most will take a few years before they will come walking up to you and some never will.
Thank you!! I know it’s going to take a lot of time, trust, and patience! I really will go in there a few times a day in between meetings to check on humidity and temps. As a first time tortoise owner, you can’t help but to overthink and over analyze things as they aren’t at easy to understand or know if something isn’t right. I’m so thankful for this forum!

Vancouver bc
Thank you!! I know it’s going to take a lot of time, trust, and patience! I really will go in there a few times a day in between meetings to check on humidity and temps. As a first time tortoise owner, you can’t help but to overthink and over analyze things as they aren’t at easy to understand or know if something isn’t right. I’m so thankful for this forum!
Would love to see a picture of him/her! They are my favorite!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh I understand, I was a new tortoise mom years back.
I believe in handling your tortoise and touching his head, legs, neck, etc. This helps when they do get used to it, in looking them over and if you ever had to take him to a vet, they would have an easier time checking him over if he's already used to it
My leopard I raised from a hatchling doesn't care if I touch his head, neck, feet, legs, he only pulls his head in if I startle him.
I used to take him out every day, let him walk around on the couch while I sat there and then walk around on me. He would climb up to my neck and snuggle in. I'd let him lay there for a short time and then put him back to his warmer enclosure. This helped him get very laid back with being handled and touched.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How long did it take you guys’ tortoise to warm up to you? I’ve had my four month old Burmese star for a little over a week and he wants absolutely nothing to do with me!😂 he won’t eat in front of me, hates when we soak but if I walk away he calms down, if I walk into the room where his enclosure is when he’s eating he stops and goes into his hide!! I know it takes time but I’m just curious if you guys had any input!
All babies of all species are fearful. Once they get bigger and older, most of them lose that fear. I just go about my business and they all desensitize over time. I don't take the time to actually "do" anything to get them to relax. They just settle down in their own time.