Acorn?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
I was going to say they look similar to a Pittosporum seed
They do resemble those type of seeds. I wonder if a Pittosporum seed goes bad. It turns to a brown powder? Looks like they are red inside but I only looked at a few different types. I will see if I can see any in the vacant lots next to me.
Actually we have been trying to decide on a bush for the front yard. That might work for what we are looking for. They say they thrive in Florida.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
They do resemble those type of seeds. I wonder if a Pittosporum seed goes bad. It turns to a brown powder? Looks like they are red inside but I only looked at a few different types. I will see if I can see any in the vacant lots next to me.
Actually we have been trying to decide on a bush for the front yard. That might work for what we are looking for. They say they thrive in Florida.
Ray, I'm sure they would eventually. And after going through the GI tract of Opo, it would NOT look the same way it went in. My Tort has attempted to eat some really weird "Sh*t", luckily I have been able to intervene.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ray, I'm sure they would eventually. And after going through the GI tract of Opo, it would NOT look the same way it went in. My Tort has attempted to eat some really weird "Sh*t", luckily I have been able to intervene.
I have thought now and then, I should have a x-ray done on Opo. To see what crazy stuff he might have inside. We keep the backyard free of foriegn objects but I obviously missed the acorns.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I have thought now and then, I should have a x-ray done on Opo. To see what crazy stuff he might have inside. We keep the backyard free of foriegn objects but I obviously missed the acorns.
Ya, One of my parrots had begun acting weird, and I took her in to the vet. they did an x-ray and saw a "item" in her GI tract, so it had passed through her stomach. They thought it looked like a "Metal Nut" as in (Nut and bolt) she stayed for two days, while they gave her something to chlete the zinc out of her body. The never found the item, but it was a lil scary for me.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
Ray, pretty sure you have a puff ball there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffball I remember those as a kid we would find them in the garden and break them open and squeeze the brown powder into the air.
Great fun! lol
The one's we had I remember were about the size of a marble and look exactly like your picture.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ray, pretty sure you have a puff ball there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffball I remember those as a kid we would find them in the garden and break them open and squeeze the brown powder into the air.
Great fun! lol
The one's we had I remember were about the size of a marble and look exactly like your picture.
Thanks, I do get different types of mushrooms growing in the yard. I haven't found anymore but I was working off the theory that squirrels were leaving them behind or dropping when they are on the powerline in the backyard. Now I will add puffballs to my investigation methods. ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey Ray, include Blue Jays or other birds on ur list of acorn spreaders. I watched a video yesterday of one type of Jay burying seeds in a garden, soon after another species of Jay or Magpie or something flies in & steals & eats them.

“Puffballs” do look like your reported Acorns, but once digested & defecated out, I’m sure they would lose their round/oval shape.

Happy Saturday morning…. & whats the status of your pool?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey Ray, include Blue Jays or other birds on ur list of acorn spreaders. I watched a video yesterday of one type of Jay burying seeds in a garden, soon after another species of Jay or Magpie or something flies in & steals & eats them.

“Puffballs” do look like your reported Acorns, but once digested & defecated out, I’m sure they would lose their round/oval shape.

Happy Saturday morning…. & whats the status of your pool?
Thanks for the info Mark, the pool seems like a go with the insurance company. I need to get a few quotes. The problem is getting someone out here for a quote. There is a shortage on materials so every company I called said call back in a range of 2 to 6 months. I am thinking of going on Angie but when I did that for my roof. My phone blew up for 3 weeks with roofers calling.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thanks for the info Mark, the pool seems like a go with the insurance company. I need to get a few quotes. The problem is getting someone out here for a quote. There is a shortage on get referrals from your neighbors.materials so every company I called said call back in a range of 2 to 6 months. I am thinking of going on Angie but when I did that for my roof. My phone blew up for 3 weeks with roofers calling.
I learned the hard way with Angie's app, too. You can ask on NextDoor without giving your phone # out & that seems to be a bit better. You just get referrals from your neighbors...assuming you have neighbors who aren't mean-spirited.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I learned the hard way with Angie's app, too. You can ask on NextDoor without giving your phone # out & that seems to be a bit better. You just get referrals from your neighbors...assuming you have neighbors who aren't mean-spirited.
I will check it out. Thanks.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
And with ND, you can "Mute" all those mean spirited Folks ;)

Jan A

Boulder, CO
And with ND, you can "Mute" all those mean spirited Folks ;)
My experience has been on anything controversial (like leaving your car unlocked in your driveway & leaving a gun in the car, which then gets stolen) will bring out the worst in people when you ask why you left a gun in an unlocked car... or the monitors delete COVID comments that deviate from what the CDC says. You can mute it but you're still getting pounded.