Weird Sulcata Behaviour

Devran

My sulcata is a rescue and the people that had him before me didn't take good care of him. He was found walking by a near by lake. When I was called to get him I took him to a reptile/exotic animal vet and they told me he it was a male and over all he was healthy (even though he has a messed up shell that healed years ago. I think he's constipated, so I drew a warm bath and he sat there for a bit like he usually does then let out several unusually loud moans and several pieces of poo have come out (about regular size and consistency for him) but now he's walking around and I can't tell if he's trying to scratch his anus or not but it also looks like he's trying to cover up an imaginary hole in the ground. Please help, I know reptiles very well but I haven't seen this behavior. Does anyone know what's going on?

20150814_205407.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He probably still has some poop in the cloaca trying to come out. Continue to soak him, and maybe give him some watery food like cucumber or aloe vera.

Hi, Devran, and welcome to the Forum!! It was good of you to take in a tortoise that isn't exactly picture perfect. I wonder why he grew like that. It's almost as if the previous owner had some sort of strap around his shell from a very young age and it didn't allow the shell to grow in that spot.

Devran

The vet that checked him out said it looks like something impacted him on the right side because there is evidence of separation between the Carapace and Plastron on the right side. But it has all healed and he's very sweet. He's gained 3 pounds (going from 21lbs to 24 lbs) the year I've had him. So he eats very well and has full range of my backyard and has a den as well as a tortoise house. I'm just worried because this is new behavior for him. But I'll make sure to feed him more Cucumber and Aloe Vera, thank you very much!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome to the forum. What a sweet boy. I would soak him for an hour or so, keeping the water warm in something big enough for him to walk around in. Did the vet get xrays by any chance to rule out any kind of stone or blockage?

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hi there-
My guy moans fairly regularly. Sometimes he does it when he pees out a big pile of urates. Maybe you couldn't see in the water but it could be that. Im convinced I have the noisiest tortoise on earth. Also when I need for my guy to poop I wet a bunch of hay and mix it with some greens like dandelions and so he has to dig around to get the good stuff. My vet just reminded me that wet hay is great for hydrating them,etc.
Hope this helps! Im sure he is fine but I do know the worry!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello Devran and warm welcome from Texas! I keep the Redfooted and have been active on this forum for over a year, learned a lot!!! One of the many things I have learned is that very many principles in human medicine (my specialty) apply readily or with minor modifications to reptiles. That said, it is safe to assume your tort is trying to pass something. Is there a way you can get some gloves and with double gloved hand lubricate your index and middle finger with mineral oil, or organic extra virgin olive oil or something similar and palpate around his cloaca gently. Have your oil in a little disposable bowl handy to keep on lubricating your double gloved hand. See after circling around the vent see if you can apply little pressure pointing to the center of the sphincter (the opening) and if you can feel any hard nodule under the soft tissue. Doing that may stimulate his sphincter muscle and cloaca to open up and expel the contents. If that doesn't relieve his discomfort I'd be curious if radiographic studies would be possible to rule out bladder stone or impaction with foreign object or something like that. Keep him well hydrated, and warm (85F) feed aloe vera that would be awesome lubricant from "the inside out". Thank you for taking this cutie in. Unfortunately we see many very deformed torts. Yours is not the most affected by human neglect, or ignorance, or stupidity or down right cruelty. Please keep us posted. Sending you warm hug electronically while you are sorting this out

Manila philippines
His shell looks badly deformed, i feel sad because of how his previous owners treated him, my little baby tort means everything to me, and i would never maltreat any of my pets, you sir, are a good egg! I hope the both of you live long and strong!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Devran, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your unique and special tortoise.
Hope he gets back to normal soon.:)