active vs. old pyramiding?

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Hi, I am wondering if my baby Russian (guessing between 6 mo to a year) is pyramiding or if it is just the case that the contrast between his new growth and old is simply telling of sub-par care prior to us getting him in November.

What I mean is that his new growth, of which there is a lot, is very flat and smooth and there is barely a ridge at all between new scutes. But now as this new flat stuff grows the older parts of his shell seem a lot more raised by comparison.

So I guess my question is - if he was pyramiding right now, would it be the new scutes looking raised, or his old ones as I am describing. He is eating properly, more or less, has consistent 50-60 percent humidity, soaks almost daily and is so well hydrated he urinates purely liquid. He's also (finally) taken to his humid hide. I feel like there should be no reason for him to be actively pyramiding at present! I will post a pic as soon as he awakens.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Instead of laying flat, the new growth would have an upwards tilt. Like the side of a mountain

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...sorry to say, but it looks like pyramiding to me.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Sigh. I kind of thought, because I see some pictures and the shells look so smooth and flat. So any advice on what now? I feel like we are doing all the right things. Is it possible things will turn around for him if he keeps getting proper care? He was purchased from a petsmart, so I don't think he had the best past.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How much water do you pour over your wood chips? It may be that it's still too dry. Try covering the whole thing to keep the warm, moist air inside.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
There is just a thin layer over top of coir which I keep moist. A bit more chips in that spot just for the sake of it being less messy when the food and water dishes go in and out. I spray it down a couple times a day and use a watering can to keep the lower layers moist every few days. I wIll try keeping it moister. I finally built him a humid hide that he approves of and has just started using it today! He's spending a lot of time in there. Hopefully this will help. Should I soak him multiple times a day? Will that help?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spraying usually isn't enough. You have to actually pour water over the substrate. Once a day soaking is enough.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Yes, I do both, and will be more heavy handed with the watering can from now on. So in your opinion is his new growth pyramiding as well?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The new growth looks good. Your tortoise is very handsome. From the photo I can't tell if the pyramiding is continuing or not. Provide the best environment possible for your tortoise and in a few months you will have a much better idea of how it is progressing. It is easier to prevent pyramiding than to stop it once it has started.