Adding a new redfoot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

redharedwarf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alaska
I have a 1.5 yr old redfoot, perfectly healthy, no problems living in a custom 3ft x 8ft tort table. I'm wondering if I can add another redfoot with him? I know that a quaratine time would be requried but after that could they be combined?

Red

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be best to add one close to the same size, other than that, it would be quite ok.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Yeah, what she said!

As long as there is plenty of room and the cares are good, a second animal should be fine. In fact, Red-foots are generally considered to do better in groups (although they also seem OK on their own.)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Make sure there are enough hides and sight barriers to keep them from getting stressed, and watch for signs of aggression. There may be some initial biting or ramming (I introduced a 4" Redfoot to my group a few months ago, and the little spitfire tried to take on my 13-14" ADULT!) but as long as they aren't actually hurting each other, let them work it out.

I also recommend getting one that is close to the same size as what you have. My pen when I introduced the little one was 14' X 24', with lots of places to hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.