adding plants??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
new york
i wanted to ad some greenery to my tort terraium but i dont know what are the best for him or how to plant them in the mulch. im want to add them just to break up the back round for him a bit more.

thanks

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
bigwhitemonster said:
i wanted to ad some greenery to my tort terraium but i dont know what are the best for him or how to plant them in the mulch. im want to add them just to break up the back round for him a bit more.

thanks

I planted little Rose of Sharon, dandilion, and some Spring mix seeds. Also a little Palm Tree, that he sits under. Some porchalocka , and pansies. He is in a 75 gal. vivarium.
002-5.jpg

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
terryo said:
bigwhitemonster said:

thanks

I planted little Rose of Sharon, dandilion, and some Spring mix seeds. Also a little Palm Tree, that he sits under. Some porchalocka , and pansies. He is in a 75 gal. vivarium.
002-5.jpg

Terry, that looks like a sweet setup!!!!

I choose to use pots just so I can move the plants easier and stuff. I use taller pots so the tortoises can't get to the plants; but you can use shorter pots so that the tortoises can munch on the overhanging leaves and flowers.

Bromelaids also do well in the same temperatures/humidity with redfoots.

I bought about 4 of them and they are reproducing on their own. I got like 6 little ones growing off my original 4.

200805.jpg

200805enclb.jpg

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
so if i were to plant them on the ground what would i do? would i add soil to the area where the plant is or will the plant be fine in the mulch (i dont think that would work very well but i have no clue)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
In my viv. I mixed soil, forest floor by zoo med, and peat moss, and lots of leaf litter. Then I put reptile moss on top of that which also helps hold the humidity, and stays green. I just planted the plants right into the mixed substrate. In his hide I have long fibered moss dampened and fluffed up.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
thanks guys and girls. so is there a specific type of soil i should or shouldn't use?

Status
Not open for further replies.