Adult temperatures

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Can someone please give me an answer as to temperatures for adult redfoots? Every breeder, every expert ect. Says something different.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you mean indoors or out? Indoors I like to keep a steady temperature all over the whole habitat of 80F degrees.

Here's what Tyler Stewart of tortoisesupply.com has to say about outdoors:

"Red-footed tortoises that live outdoors are tolerant to various temperature ranges. High temperatures are generally not going to be a problem provided that the tortoise has a shaded area to escape to if desired and constant access to water to soak in and drink.

We keep our adult red-footed tortoises outdoors in Las Vegas with temperatures of up to 115 degrees Fahrenheit occasionally and have had no losses to heat. Keep in mind the fact that our red-footed tortoise “jungle” is sprayed with sprinklers several times a day, which lowers the overall temperature in that area and raises humidity. The entire area is covered with 80 percent shade cloth.

The tortoises themselves can also handle surprisingly cold temperatures, as low as 45 degrees, with no problems. When nighttime temperatures drop below 50 degrees, a heated hide box should be provided that maintains at least 60 degrees at night (in the 70s is better), or the tortoises should be brought in during those times. Red-footed tortoises are kept outdoors year round in some parts of the country where nighttime lows in the winter are 20 degrees (including here in Las Vegas). It is absolutely required that these tortoises are checked on each evening to make sure they get into a heated area and do not fall asleep out in the open and become exposed to cold temperatures at night."

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I was asking more for when they need to be indoors.

Do you provide a basking spot as well? Do you maintain 80 during the night also?

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Indoors my temps drop to about 77. Even a little cooler us still O.K. as long as the tortoise isn't sitting in wetness.
For the happiest and healthiest Redfoot, temps of 80 to 89 with shade and water available are ideal.
Also, I've never seen any of mine bask.
Also keep in mind that they are not fond of very bright lights.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Indoors my temps drop to about 77. Even a little cooler us still O.K. as long as the tortoise isn't sitting in wetness.
For the happiest and healthiest Redfoot, temps of 80 to 89 with shade and water available are ideal.
Also, I've never seen any of mine bask.
Also keep in mind that they are not fond of very bright lights.
What about night temps?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I was asking more for when they need to be indoors.
The fact is the adults can take a vast temperature range. Because of body mass, they take longer to cool.
The first book I got was, 'The Redfoot Manual' by Mike Pingletons. In this book it suggests 30°c(86f) +/-3°c(80.6f to 91.4f).
All my redfoots enclosures are 82f to 88f. My adults when indoors have an entire room to themselves, this rooms ambient is about 72f/75f. They can retreat to enclosures at 82f to 88f at any time. So you could say indoors I provide 72f to 88f for my adults.
Personally I think as long as you provide an area at no less than 80f they should be OK.
If you work on the lower end of the scale you may find your tort sits under the heat source far to much trying to keep warm.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Indoors the temps get as low as 77. No cooler.
Outdoors I bring them inside if the temperatures inside their heated doghouses gets below 65.
These are robust adults. Not babies.
Adults don't seem to get as sick as quickly due to temperatures.
If you want to be safe. I agree that it should be no lower than 80 at any time. At least not for an extended amount of time. Especially if we are talking about small ones.