Advice for a first time owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterDB

5 Year Member
:tort:
I'm planning on buying a young sulcata. I've never owned a tortoise before, but i've read nearly everything there is to know about them. I've been wanting one for quite a while, but before i made the decision to actually get one, i decided it was best to research as much as i could. It's been months, and i think i'm finally ready to get one next week.[/font] So, any advice for a new sulcata owner?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, WinterDB!!

My advice is for you to read the important threads (stickys) at the top of the sulcata section. And be sure to post pictures of your new baby when you get it.

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
You sound exactly like me a few weeks ago. I wanted a tortoise for a really long time and read everything I possibly could. Its definitely scary to jump in no matter how much you read and of course a big commitment but it sounds like you're ready and the forum is always helpful to alleviate all the fears and worries that you'll inevitably encounter. What is most helpful to me is reading everything I can on here and never being afraid to ask questions. There are so many experts here and they love to help. Good luck! You can do it!

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Welcome! if you get a baby make sure its very well hydrated and has proper humidity =] make sure you take good care of the tort! It will in return bring joy to your life =] also plant a garden if you can

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest going to the sulcata section of the forum and reading all the stickies. All of that info will help you out in raising your soon to be baby sulcata. Plenty of breeders to buy from on this site as well, just check out the for sale section of the forum and you will be able to find a few for sale.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Its great to hear you did a lot of research, but here's the problem: Most of what is out there is outdated and based on incorrect assumptions about what they need.

Start clicking through the links in my signature to get a better explanation.

MISTAKE #1: Buying your tortoise from the wrong source. Most breeders still keep them dry, on rabbit pellets, with no water bowl and once a week soaks. If you buy one from one of these breeders it is very likely that you will encounter problems. Instead find a breeder that you like that keeps their babies hydrated and lets them have a drink of water when they want one. The first few weeks are absolutely critical in a hatchling tortoises life. Chronic dehydration is no way for them to start out, when the wild ones hatch during the hot rainy wet humid swampy season over in their natural range.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) my advice, forget most that you have read on the Internet and stay with what you learn here. There are more then one good way to raise your sulcata and one of the best ways is located at the bottom of my post. Also, the same person that wrote the threads at the bottom of my post I believe has baby sulcatas for sale if there are any left. Send him a pm if you would like to talk to him about his babies. Good luck and don't forget pics when you finally find that special one.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
My advice is go ahead and get your set up started now, take pictures, post them and welcome the advice you might get. No one here offers advice for their benefit, it's always for the animals we all love.
Get an idea from others about routines and so on, that way your new guy or gal has a smooth entrance into your family :)
We got our sulcata in May and its amazing at what this forum has taught me and still teaches me every day!

Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

Its great to hear you did a lot of research, but here's the problem: Most of what is out there is outdated and based on incorrect assumptions about what they need.

Start clicking through the links in my signature to get a better explanation.

MISTAKE #1: Buying your tortoise from the wrong source. Most breeders still keep them dry, on rabbit pellets, with no water bowl and once a week soaks. If you buy one from one of these breeders it is very likely that you will encounter problems. Instead find a breeder that you like that keeps their babies hydrated and lets them have a drink of water when they want one. The first few weeks are absolutely critical in a hatchling tortoises life. Chronic dehydration is no way for them to start out, when the wild ones hatch during the hot rainy wet humid swampy season over in their natural range.

Nailed it. Our girl was kept exactly that way :(

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I would also read some, if not all, of Maggie's Bob stories. They are hilarious but also show what you have to look forward to when your tortoise gets older. Then when you have decided that you still want a sulcata, buy it from one of the breeders on this site. They are less expensive and they have been kept really well. You should not have any health problems from being kept wrong. Welcome and glad to have you here.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.