First time tortoise owner

Maui'smom

Location (City and/or State)
Port Richey, Florida
Hello. I am a first time sulcata owner. We are in west central Florida. I did so much research before bringing my tort home. But I do have a serious question. Does it hurt them to be picked up by the side of their shells? I'm find ing conflicting info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello. I am a first time sulcata owner. We are in west central Florida. I did so much research before bringing my tort home. But I do have a serious question. Does it hurt them to be picked up by the side of their shells? I'm find ing conflicting info.
Hello and welcome. Are we talking about a baby or an adult?

Most of the info found online, from breeders, from vets, and from reptile "experts", is all wrong. Here is the correct care info:

Picking the tortoise up from the sides does not hurt them in any way.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome from a fellow floridian and sulcata owner. I am directly east of you in Palm Bay. Did you make it through the hurricane ok?
Pics of your sully would be great. When they get big, if you are picking them up. Make sure your hand and fingers are away from the legs. Especially the rear legs. If your fingers are in the wrong spot. They can either pinch your fingers between a leg and shell. Or they can catch your hand with a leg and make you lose grip. If you're holding a large sully and it falls to the ground. It may turn into a bad situation. Especially if they fall onto concrete.

Maui'smom

Port Richey, Florida
Hello and welcome. Are we talking about a baby or an adult?

Most of the info found online, from breeders, from vets, and from reptile "experts", is all wrong. Here is the correct care info:

Picking the tortoise up from the sides does not hurt them in any way.
He's a baby hatched July 26.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome. Not sure what your particular arrangement is, but when our Sully was small I would always use a small plastic bucket to transport it from controlled habitat to soaking area & back. It’s very easy to drop a rambunctious scrambling young tortoise. Being in a bucket keeps their feet flat & keeps them calm.

And @Ray--Opo is correct! Once they are hefty, those back legs in particular can make a quick nasty mess of your fingers. Gloves keep any injuries to a minimum.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
Welcome.Stay tuned in that baby sulcata will grow fast and giant torts can be a handful. Good news is it doesn't happen overnight and Florida is a great place to raise a sulcata.