Advice for larger enclosure heat/light set-up

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Skokie
Hi all,
I have a baby leopard tortoise who is growing fast!

I am having a much larger closed chamber enclosure built.
I'm done with trying to adapt my stock tank to make it work! No more mouse-trap games :)

The enclosure is going to be made from PVC, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be 96x36x36". Might as well git it made to last a while.

My questions are about how to set up lights and heat in an enclosure this large.
I'm guessing a larger UVB bulb--I currently have a 22" one.
Does my tort need more than one basking area?

Heat is my big concern--I am currently using a 100 or 150 watt CHE, but I do have an 80 watt RHP.

Please help--I wanna get this really right, finally!
Also, if anyone has any building tips, I'd love to hear them!
(Sorry @Markw84, the shipping costs put me over the top...).

Many thanks, Katie

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have 2 100W CHE's and 2 UV strips. In the winter when my house is ~60-70f it keeps temps in the low 80s for a 4ft x 8ft enclosure. Hope this helps a bit - I dont have radiated heat panels or basking spots though as my tort species doesnt bask. UV strips are on an on/off timer, and CHE's are on a thermostat.

Reactions: KT1

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
I have 2 100W CHE's and 2 UV strips. In the winter when my house is ~60-70f it keeps temps in the low 80s for a 4ft x 8ft enclosure. Hope this helps a bit - I dont have radiated heat panels or basking spots though as my tort species doesnt bask. UV strips are on an on/off timer, and CHE's are on a thermostat.

Thank you, any and all information is helpful!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,
I have a baby leopard tortoise who is growing fast!

I am having a much larger closed chamber enclosure built.
I'm done with trying to adapt my stock tank to make it work! No more mouse-trap games :)

The enclosure is going to be made from PVC, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be 96x36x36". Might as well git it made to last a while.

My questions are about how to set up lights and heat in an enclosure this large.
I'm guessing a larger UVB bulb--I currently have a 22" one.
Does my tort need more than one basking area?

Heat is my big concern--I am currently using a 100 or 150 watt CHE, but I do have an 80 watt RHP.

Please help--I wanna get this really right, finally!
Also, if anyone has any building tips, I'd love to hear them!
(Sorry @Markw84, the shipping costs put me over the top...).

Many thanks, Katie
No need to go 36 inches tall. You'll be heating a lot of air over the tortoise for no reason. 24 inches is plenty. 30 inches if you really want to. Mine are 18 inches so I can stack them 3 high and still have access to them, but 24 inches is better for a single that won't be stacked.

Your current UV tube will be plenty, but be sure to mount it at the correct height according to a UV meter.

Make a 6" litter dam to keep the substrate and tortoise in when the door is open.

One basking area is enough.

I prefer radiant heat panels to heat closed chambers. CHEs can also work, but they get so hot. RHPs spread the heat out over a greater area.

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
@Tom, thanks.
Will I need an additional RHP?
Where should the RHP(s) be placed?

For extra light in the enclosure, what kind of LEDs do you use

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom, thanks.
Will I need an additional RHP?
Where should the RHP(s) be placed?

For extra light in the enclosure, what kind of LEDs do you use

Thanks!
Only your thermometer can tell you if one 80 watt panel is enough. It should be mounted near the middle so it spreads the heat into the whole enclosure as much as possible. At normal room temps, I'm guessing you'll need two 80 watt panels, but that is just a guess. One might do it with the other bulbs burning all day.

I use under cabinet mounted LEDs from the hardware store and wire them myself. Now that they are readily avaialbe and also good, I've been using screw-in type frosted LEDs for additional lighting too. Either one will work.

Reactions: KT1

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
Great, those are easy to find and not too expensive!