Advice\Help. (turtles won't eat)

Levert11

Location (City and/or State)
TN
i recently purchased two yellow bellied sliders and they seem very annoyed by everything and won’t eat. One bit at the pellets but didn’t swallow. I’m here asking for advice and if anyone could donate an aquarium that they do not use\need that would be great. I’m at baseball 24/7 or I would have a job. Thanks to anyone in advance

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try to find out what the previous owner fed them. Also, try offering them live food.

daniellenc

Maryland
i recently purchased two yellow bellied sliders and they seem very annoyed by everything and won’t eat. One bit at the pellets but didn’t swallow. I’m here asking for advice and if anyone could donate an aquarium that they do not use\need that would be great. I’m at baseball 24/7 or I would have a job. Thanks to anyone in advance
Where are you housing them? If you’re never around how do you know they aren’t eating?

Levert11

TN
Try to find out what the previous owner fed them. Also, try offering them live food.
I bought them from a store in Florida that fed them pellets. I’ve tried feeding them and will wait 3-4 hours to check and they will not touch the pellets. I put a small cricket inside and they seemed scared of it and ran away

Levert11

TN
Where are you housing them? If you’re never around how do you know they aren’t eating?
Pellets are still floating when I get home. They live in a smallish cage with about an inch of water

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If you just got them chances are they won't eat in front of you for a couple days. Try some reptomin baby pellets. You can soak them in water for about 2 minutes before you give em to them to soften them up. Make sure their water temp is not below 70 too. Also you can float some romaine or kale.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
20180615_112400.jpg You can get a storage bin to house them at Wal-Mart. I got this one for $9

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pellets are still floating when I get home. They live in a smallish cage with about an inch of water
That may be your problem. Turtles can't eat unless they're completely submerged. An inch of water doesn't allow for that.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That may be your problem. Turtles can't eat unless they're completely submerged. An inch of water doesn't allow for that.
Didn't see that ya they need atleast 6" and water, and a place to get out and completely dry themselves off.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Moving right along here, all the advice is absolutely spot on as far as I am concerned. Correct temperatures, uv light, water level, diet.