Hermann won't try anything new to eat!

Kitkat1989

My 2 year old hermann won't try anything! I mean he eats cucumber, water cress, pak choi, occasionally strawberries and tomatoes. He some times eat dandelion leaves but anything else he won't try. A friend of mine suggested rose petals and rose leaves so iv tried that today and he has turned his nose up at it again, iv tried lavender, okra (heard they love this) and various different plants and he won't entertain them. Iv bought some pellets to give him as I'm concerned that he isn't getting the neutrion he needs. Any advice on that I can try?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You have a job ahead of you. Not only is your tortoise a picky eater, he is fixated on things that don't belong in his diet. No fruit. Try a very, very Offer the good stuff he needs mixed into the things he likes, everything chopped small so he gets the good stuff along with the "junk food." Gradually decrease the junk.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto, and if you spritz it with water just before feeding, it helps it to stick together, so harder to pick through the good stuff only.

Kitkat1989

I will give it another go. What should I be feeding him apart from dandelion. I live in the uk

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My tort likes brightly colored objects, like the whites of lettuce and clovers... dandelion colors... Try to trick him by mixing it together.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe it is called rocket salad in the UK, you have got a picky eater, tough road ahead to change his ways.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Oh dear I feel your pain. My tortoise has become obsessed with butternut squash and I rue the day I introduced this to him. He used to eat more weeds but now has become really picky. I would do as others have suggested by mixing food together. That is why I am doing and it is somewhat working.

Such picky little guys eh?! :)

Kitkat1989

Iv got him eating dandelion leaves (yey!) He doesn't look very happy about it and is currently throwing them around his house lol