Chicory for hermann?

Tortoisekatie

my Hermann has been quite a picky eater ever since I got him a year ago, I constantly have a battle with him to eat plants, I grow my own weeds for him and I do give him the odd bits and pieces such as pak choi (which he loves!) and today I had some chicory and thought I would try him which he loves. Does anyone know if this could be a part of his diet regularly and does anyone have anything else that I could try him on? image.jpg

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Chickory is fine in a varied diet. It is often what is sold as dandelion in grocery stores and greens markets. I grow it & the torts (all of them) love it!

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Chickory is fine in a varied diet. It is often what is sold as dandelion in grocery stores and greens markets. I grow it & the torts (all of them) love it!

Initially I was going to say you were mistaken that Dandelion and Chickory were sometimes marketed as one and the same. Before open my mouth I did a quick Google search. Turn out you are correct even though they appear to be totally different plants.

Tortoisekatie

Im hoping that with me trying to give him more variation in his food he will become more interested in flowers and different types of weeds once the uk summer arrives!

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Funny this is the season were I can harvest weeds like mad. The summer is when I rely more on store bought food.

Tortoisekatie

I'm not very good with plants etc so I'm always dubious about picking stuff from my garden incase it's poisonous to him

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Me either. Post up photos in the Diet and Food Forum under plant identification. More often than not you will get positive ID's on your weeds.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Initially I was going to say you were mistaken that Dandelion and Chickory were sometimes marketed as one and the same. Before open my mouth I did a quick Google search. Turn out you are correct even though they appear to be totally different plants.

I used to buy 'dandelion' at a greens mkt in West Palm Beach until I planted a few that still had a root nub and found that it had blue flowers. I buy the seed now and toss it by the handful into the enclosures.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
My tortoises love Chicory. I may have to get some seeds too.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the :tort: forum!

A variety of food would be the best if your tort "gives and takes." I too have an extremely picky tort as far as food is concerned, and I'm trying to deal with the issue:D.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have fun trying everything and anything my store happens to get in as far as the greens go. It's fun to watch like which one has an eye immediately on something like radicchio and who won't come near it. In warm months of course the fun is discovering new plants to grow outside for the munchkins. Just reading posts in here and seeing pictures often give me a reminder of something new to try. I am a strong believer in variety. Doesn't mean each meal has to be that way, just over all through out the year.