Advice pls - Hibernation delayed

Georgy

Location (City and/or State)
North Wales
Hi - I have an 85 year old Tortoise, she hibernates every year like clockwork - 1st week in Oct, and she comes in for a few days beforehand. This year its so warm, she wants to hibernate but cant as its too warm, she is awake and moving around but I am now worried as she hasnt eaten for 3 weeks and could be losing her fat reserves. Should I just pack her away into the coldest place I can find or keep her inside and feeding her ? but its warm indoors so compounding the issue. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

LJL1982

UK
Hi

You can ratify her weight for hibernation success using the Jackson Ratio...it isn't appropriate for all breeds but I suspect at that age she might be a Greek...but you need to know her breed to know if the Jackon Ratio is relevant.

You need her carapace (shell length) and her weight.

If she is on the lower side and isn't imminently hibernating I wouldn't risk it, but then you have to wake her up with warm baths and she will have to be brought in and kept up to appropriate temperatures with heat lights etc and frequent bathing across the winter till she can go back outdoors without risking hibernation

Link to Jackson ratio is above. Measure her with a tape measure against a wall and push her head in using the wall so you are only measuring the shell.

If you need to turn her over to weigh her to get an accurate weight then do so, it's more important to be accurate on that than a little discomfort to her for a minute. The Jackson ratio is quite sensitive.

Georgy

North Wales
Hi

You can ratify her weight for hibernation success using the Jackson Ratio...it isn't appropriate for all breeds but I suspect at that age she might be a Greek...but you need to know her breed to know if the Jackon Ratio is relevant.

You need her carapace (shell length) and her weight.

If she is on the lower side and isn't imminently hibernating I wouldn't risk it, but then you have to wake her up with warm baths and she will have to be brought in and kept up to appropriate temperatures with heat lights etc and frequent bathing across the winter till she can go back outdoors without risking hibernation

Link to Jackson ratio is above. Measure her with a tape measure against a wall and push her head in using the wall so you are only measuring the shell.

If you need to turn her over to weigh her to get an accurate weight then do so, it's more important to be accurate on that than a little discomfort to her for a minute. The Jackson ratio is quite sensitive.
0.197 - perfectly cooked ! so we're good to go. Thanks. These animals never cease to amaze me

LJL1982

UK
0.197 - perfectly cooked ! so we're good to go. Thanks. These animals never cease to amaze me
As if when I am 85 I will be so organised...or possibly even alive 😆

You can always double check with a vet but sounds like she knows what she's doing!