Advice requested for UV- A, B

Status
Not open for further replies.

gliska

5 Year Member
:(Just joined the site and I'm new to taking care of my leopard tortoise. I got him at just 65 grams in January 2010, he is not 650 grams last week so everything is good. He outgrew his 29 gallon long tank so I built a 25" wide by 72" long table with lights that hang down. I have the new ZooMed industrial strength (18"x18") pad inside his enclosure for sleeping with an unheated area so he can choose to be on it or not...Here's my question: When he was in his small incloseure it was easy to regulate/position the ZooMed vapor heat/UV-A, B light over him and the pattern/color of his shell were proof it worked. Now with my enclosure so much larger - what do you experts do to make sure he/she basks under it for an appropriate amount of time to have it work its magic? Are they innately intuitive to seek the light and do what nature would intend to do? Any insight or comments would be appreciate.

Gary

Attachments

• GBL Tortoise Table.jpg
    GBL Tortoise Table.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 44

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Gary:

Welcome to the forum!!

I don't think you have to worry about your baby getting the correct amount of UV. The "rays" don't just go straight down from the light. They will be all over the habitat (great-looking habitat, by the way. I particularly love the hand painted 'scape on the back wall!) You might consider making the hiding place a little more closed in. Leopard tortoises usually hide under bushes in the wild and he will feel more comfortable and safer if he has "branches" or something to crawl under. How about a picture of your baby? Where are you located?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice looking enclosure. Here are my suggestions: Move the heat source(s) to one side or the other instead of right in the middle. Typically, we strive to provide a warm side and a cooler side so the tort can choose where it wants to be. I agree with Yvonne about the hide box, but I think its great that you had the insight to provide one at all. I like to put a flat rock or piece of slate directly under the basking bulb. This does many things. It wears their nails down. It absorbs and radiates heat over a greater area when they are not on it and it gives them safe belly heat when they do lay on it. It also makes it easier to accurately measure your basking temp so that you can raise or lower your bulb to get it just right. Lastly, I like to use terra cotta plant saucers for water bowls. You can find the rights size at Lowes for a couple of bucks. They are shallow, offer good traction and they can soak in them if you get a big enough one. I like to dig a little hole for them, so they sit flush with the substrate.

Don't worry about how much time they spend under the UV lamps. They will bask as needed. Just get him out in the sun *** much as you can when the weather is nice.

gliska

5 Year Member
Leopard follow up

I live in Kennett Square, PA, very close to the lower right hand corner of the state. Thank you by the way, you were my very first response (of two).

I have since added a sliding door so he is more cozy and feels more secluded making it nearly 'dark' inslide. He hasn't eat for two days but I expect this with a new habitat. He has eaten fresh clover from my hand so he hasn't completely shut down. Just very shy about leaving the safety of his house.

Will get a better picture when he decides to emerge. I called ZooMed and they were emphatic about no substrate on their new heating mat for large tortoises...any ideas on a non-flamable, fun substrate I could put there so he can hide? Thanks so much for letting me know this site works.

Gary

I appreciate the advice as I'm less than a year into enjoying these amazing animals.

Attachments

• Hiding.jpg
    Hiding.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 18

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Leopard follow up

gliska said:
Thank you by the way, you were my very first response (of two).

And the best two on the forum!!! :p (just kidding!)

From what I can see of your tortoise, its a beautiful little thing!

gliska

5 Year Member
It comes in at 650 grams or 1lb 4 ounces. Where are you located?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Who, me? I'm in Central California - Clovis to be exact. My tortoise partner, though, is in Philly.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Glad to see you here Gary. There's tons of information in the leopard section and many leopard owners here who can help.

Torts do a good job of self-regulation of their heat and UVA/B needs. My only caveat is that the rest of the enclosure needs to be kept at an appropriately warm temperature as well, but it sounds like with the heating pad you're probably doing just fine in that area. I don't know how things are with that pad, but would there be a way to slide it under the enclosure? That way it's not directly touching the substrate and is just going to emit heat. Someone will correct me if that's not something you can do with them. I'm envisioning the big heat pad to be about the same as a big under tank heater.

gliska

5 Year Member
Just took these as he came out for lunch!

Pleased to share his first meal with you after staying in his shelter yesterday and most of today. The white is only some calcium which is left over from his Miz. tortoise chow.

The heating pad is brand new from Zoo Med. It is for adult large tortoise.
I called ZooMed to ask about the thermostat features. I do have it inside the enclosure with 25% left for him to rest off the heating unit.

Gary

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 15

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
The folks at Reptile UV (Mega Ray) believe an enclosure should have 2 light sources, One that produces UV and one that does not. They believe reptiles "Photo Regulate" and will spend the appropriate time in the UV.

There are many here on the forum that believe torts seek out calcium when they need it, and that it should be offered, and not force fed. I believe this.

I guess my point is his, torts can self regulate many things, light being one of them.

gliska

5 Year Member
With thanks....

Thanks Scott. I've noticed he seeks the Mazuir tortoise chow with the calcium before finishing off the others. I've switched the order of where the calcium is and routinely he goes for the chow w/ first. Interesting.

Again, thanks for your insight. Picture showing improving his manners is next.

Gary

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 20

gliska

5 Year Member
Growth rate

Yes, 65 grams to today at 1 pound 4 ounces in just under a year.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Wow, that's some serious weight gain. He's got some amazing color and looks very healthy! You have a nice looking enclosure. What type of bulbs are you using?

gliska

5 Year Member
Light

Thanks, I noticed my leopard tortoise' color was beginning to fade almost to an albino look. Realized the light I was using was not providing him the UV he needed. Switched to a ExoTerra Solar Glo 125W. It also provides a very good heat source all in one. $39.00 and should last a year. I noticed improvement in his color within 30-45 days and now he is his most vibrant.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Gary, I am amazed by his phenomenal growth. How did you do it? What has his diet been? He must be about 5-5 1/2" long now then. He's the biggest yearling I have ever heard of.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Hey man, the tort looks great. Good to see another tortoise raiser from my area. Im in Downingtown about 15 mins from kennett.

On to your question about the lighting. I have a similar enclosure to yours for my sulcata hatchling, although mine is a tad bigger at 2' x 8'. I use two forms of lighting. I have a Mega Ray MVB at one end of the enclosure so the tort can soak up UVB/UVA. In the middle section of the enclousre I also have a 4' shop light with two daylight UVA emitting bulbs. This makes the entire enclosure nice and bright while providing some UVA throughout the enclosure as well. I think this is important because UVA stimulates the torts activity levels and appetite. On the far end of the enclosure I have a dark humid hide hide.

gliska

5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing, sounds like you have plenty of running around room there for a hatchling!

Status
Not open for further replies.