Advice? (what tortoise should I get?)

Reece

Hello I'm new to this forum. I was wondering on your suggestions of what tortoise I get. I have owned turtle and tortoise before. I live in Indiana, USA.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome. :)

I recommend you start by reading Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Before we advise, tell us a bit more about where you live.

What's the climate like?
How much space do you have indoors?
Do you have space for an enclosure outdoors?
Is any if this likely to change?

You're taking on a 50+ year commitment, so it's important we recommend the right thing!

Reece

We have and average summer temperatures of 85°F - 60°F and average winter temperatures of 24°F - 40°F

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And the space for accommodation?

Some of these grow into tanks. Some need to live outdoors. Some need plenty of space to roam...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have the space and means(money)you can make it work for any tortoise. If your young and living at home then a Russian or Hermanns would probably be best. If your an adult and can have a big enough space for a larger species and the money to build a heat outdoor enclosure for when it's an adult, then you could do one of the larger species. I'm in Chicago, similar temps and I have Russian and leopards.

Rue

Canada
I have a slightly different take on it.

I'm a 'pet for life' type person. Don't get a pet if you can't reasonably expect to look after it for it's lifetime.

So, get a tortoise that will fit in with your projected lifestyle for the next 130 years.

I chose a Hermann's. I think I can reasonably expect to move it along with me - should I ever move off the acreage and into the city.

It's good to ask these questions in advance! Getting different opinions gives you things to think about.