What tortoise should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mass
I know, I wont be hibernating the tortie I get until she gets older and I know what I'm doing.

Thanks! :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ticothetort2 said:
Just something I didn't see brought up yet that would be a concern of mine.

If I'm not mistaken I believe that Russian's hibernate during the cold months, anyone who knows better correct me if I'm wrong. It is recommended that you don't let them hibernate in the first year that you have them, that way they can become acclimated to being around you as well as the fact that you are able to monitor their health for that first year of ownership.

I don't know the whole process of leading a tort into hibernation, but it was enough to scare me away from those that did as being a first tort for me.

Like I said, I don't own a Russian, so if there is anyone that can lay more light to this subject please chime in.
abra said:
I know, I wont be hibernating the tortie I get until she gets older and I know what I'm doing.

Excellent point, but hibernation isn't really a requirement for pet European tortoises...my 1st tortoise, a Hermann's I inherited from my grandfather upon his passing, was a pet for nearly a 1/2 century (the last 19 in my home) and she was never hibernated during that 1/2-century...lived outside during the warm part of the year and free-roamed the house during the cold part.

There are those who feel that a hibernated female tortoise will lay more eggs, annually, but this point is moot unless breeding is planned.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Terry Allan Hall said:
ticothetort2 said:
Just something I didn't see brought up yet that would be a concern of mine.

If I'm not mistaken I believe that Russian's hibernate during the cold months, anyone who knows better correct me if I'm wrong. It is recommended that you don't let them hibernate in the first year that you have them, that way they can become acclimated to being around you as well as the fact that you are able to monitor their health for that first year of ownership.

I don't know the whole process of leading a tort into hibernation, but it was enough to scare me away from those that did as being a first tort for me.

Like I said, I don't own a Russian, so if there is anyone that can lay more light to this subject please chime in.
abra said:

Excellent point, but hibernation isn't really a requirement for pet European tortoises...my 1st tortoise, a Hermann's I inherited from my grandfather upon his passing, was a pet for nearly a 1/2 century (the last 19 in my home) and she was never hibernated during that 1/2-century...lived outside during the warm part of the year and free-roamed the house during the cold part.

There are those who feel that a hibernated female tortoise will lay more eggs, annually, but this point is moot unless breeding is planned.

Yeah, I might breed her once I get older and I'm out of the house but definitely no time soon. So I probably wont hibernate her anytime soon, so I'm not very worried about that now. Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.