New Car-tech, driver protections and profits ramblings

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
As we began talking of replacing Kerry's 165,000 mile Rogue a few months ago we began to talk about the goal of our next car would be as well and wants vs needs.
We have my Expedition, a 2 seater and her Rogue and none of them has ever been in a repair shop so we have no needs, just wants. I think that it is important to recognize the difference.

We are both retired so we have no need for a commuter car.

We love going places.....days trips like a lot of our friends here take and we are both quite liable to decide on a whim.....ROAD TRIP for 1500 miles. We like nature and like being able to go anywhere but we aren't "Trek" people.....I want it soft and cushy now. We do have lots of play toys though and I like my belongings inside my vehicle, not strapped to the rear for others to shop for power packs, sprung bike seats etc. I have not figured out how to insert a 17' canoe but we're working on a solution. LOL

So like half the population we set out to find a midsized SUV that rode like a Cadillac and had the price tag of a washing machine.

Jeff got "reeducated" during this time.

Wow, the list of driving "protection" programs while driving is amazing today. How do we still get into accidents? They also use power differently. I recently learned this from Z who mentioned in another thread that cars often come with 2 batteries, one of very expensive origin now. I banged out some research and sure enough, the conditioning and learning procedure he described, is a "thing"...an expensive "thing".
Other neat stuff...like the "mild hybrids" that no one tells you that you are buying. Manufactures now realize that most not all consumers on the East coast have little desire for anything "electric" so they don't even bother to mention it to their customers. The impact is very good as long as the "starter, generator" device doesn't fail. It's going to be expensive if it does.
(Mild hybrids, also called 48-volt mild-hybrid systems, are the least electrified version of hybrid powertrains. Designs vary from model to model, but the basic concept and construction are the same. A small electric motor, which can be called an integrated starter generator (ISG), is connected to the engine and works in tandem with the internal combustion unit to provide extra power for acceleration.)

Anyone looking at cars and wonder how the new car dealer is making his money today?? Of course not, we all "don't like them much" do we? Most folks would rather go to the Dentist than a car dealer but fear not....their world changed too and it didn't help them either! We have all seen the steep rise in the cost of procuring one of these machines so for me, understanding the "layout" of their land is important.

It is an interesting time in the auto world these days. The landscape is very different and will look and feel different to you if you haven't looked at new ones in 7-8 years. The world changed while we were busy with covid.

In the "Before time";

Dealers had long 20 point margins surrounded by lots of cozy accessory warmers to keep their profits up.

I last bought a '17 Expedition in Nov '16. My truck is well appointed and pretty much has everything that we need but it's a truck, It listed for 65K and I paid 53.9 out the door including Md's 6% tax......I got nearly 16K off that list price. It wasn't an easy negotiation and it included leaving and coming back.....but we got it done in an evening.
They threw everything they had that they could possibly sell me of course. They asked so many questions of do you want different wheels and other add on's that at one point I asked if we could include the planters from the front door to the dealership.....it was fun but tough. (This was the exception I learned upon joining their forum....most were getting 5-7K off list. That's it so if you only got 2k off your car today, you are doing ok. I'm not trying to upset anyone who has already put up their savings to procure one of these intensely expensive vehicles)

Today.....very different world, new pricing structures, new revenue streams with service policies and "warranty gimmicks". The dealer margins have been pulled back, WAAAY back. I'm guessing their margins excluding the financing games are in the range of 5-7 points now and yes, they are every bit as dishonest and brutal as they always were, rest assured.

We had fun with this.....
Kerry tested 12 different models over the past week or so and narrowed it down to 3. It's been a process since my shoulder has been hurting so much. Of course riding in a car hurts like heck so we would drive 2 or 3 at a time. I was just in too much misery to keep going.....hence the 2 week process to drive them. One of the 3 we liked has a model-wide open "Park Outside" recall by the Manufacturer(WTF????). That leaves 2.....the Nissan and the nicer version at Infinity.

Salespeople;
We did have a couple of super sales folks but out of 12, 2 were tops and were very good, 2 were ok, all the rest BRAND NEW to selling cars and most of them had been in the back seats looking at their phones while trying not to let me see on the test drives....as they read the various features from a webpage. LMAO.

They knew nothing of the actual cars. Most of them could not quote me their best interest rate.....they had to "go talk to the man" to get that information. As a group, they don't seem as talented or tough b/c they are all simply doing the bidding of the "money guy" in their offices. It's a pretty sketchy setup to me but we'll all get to watch how it shakes out for them.

We go to Annapolis yesterday so I can drive the final 3 since I haven't driven any of them yet.....palisade, pathfinder, qx60 back to back to back so we can decide.

OK, anyone with a brain knows how this goes down.....

Palisade is nice, lowest price, very nice ride, a ton of bells and whistles and an obvious value.
Pathfinder(which was the big surprise horse in the race) is a "drivers car" in comparison to the Palisade with comparable power and a little nosier but the ride is exactly like my truck which isn't a bad thing but it's still a duplicate of what we have. Maybe that's why it felt so familiar to me?

QX60....very nice.....very nice ride, same engine as the pathfinder so again the power was comparable but the ride was a on a different level of car. Certainly not as nice as new Mercedes or BMWs but one that exceeded it's own cost w/o driving the cost to 70-80K. ....also not such a great looking car to me(Kerry loves it) but I own a Vstrom motorcycle made by Suzuki......it's obvious I can handle "ugly". LOL

I think we made up our collective mind......then it happened.....the Storm out!

We'll see but I'm guessing that Javier@ Infinity went in to get a piece of his Sales Manager after we left We left when they led with an interest rate DOUBLE their best 1.9% rate...I was caught off-guard and instead of "absorbing and deferring" I got offended and I got very angry and lit the kid up.....then I calmed and told him that none of this was his fault at all...but he just got screwed by his boss.

The problem I have is I'm very irrational when hurt.....I was at the end of my ability to control it and that's when they choose to "screw me" in my mind. That didn't go well for any of us when we left.

Of course he was trying to "fix it" and we got lots of texts after we left of why the "new manager" didn't know the rates but we all know the truth here and I cannot give them another chance AFTER they showed their hand.....that would be like saying "screw me twice" and we aren't doing that. We didn't respond to the texts, no point was there?

The bad thing is that they have the exact car Kerry loves......but cars are like pencils...they always make more.

Hmmmm, there's one in North Carolina......

Kerry....road trip?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yeah, you really can't beat having a truck. I was never a "truck guy" but I've had 3 Expeditions in a row.....there are just so many times when we need one. That's why we'll keep mine even if we get something for her. She will give the Rogue to her daughter if she gets a car to replace it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, you really can't beat having a truck. I was never a "truck guy" but I've had 3 Expeditions in a row.....there are just so many times when we need one. That's why we'll keep mine even if we get something for her. She will give the Rogue to her daughter if she gets a car to replace it.
My first car at 16 years old was a truck. I've had one ever since. I tried to go without one for a couple of years, and it was a no go. I was constantly borrowing my dad's truck during that time. SUVs are great, and we have one of those too, but I can't live without a truck. I need vans too. Gotta have AC for all the dogs and birds and other animals.

Dealers around here started trying to ADD $3000-5000 ON TOP OF the window sticker price. I told them, "We don't ADD to the price. We start negotiating DOWN from that price..." There answer was a sincere, "No problem. If you don't want the car we have 12 other buyers in line for it." No thanks. I'll buy elsewhere.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
For the money Subaru "Eyesight" is the safest bang for the buck. Gotta spend double that to get even a little better. Also They have the turbo option for most models so you get a nice little bit of extra power with pretty good gas mileage for all-wheel drive

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
The Enclave is a very nice car, one on our list too I, Congrats. I think Buick has always built them just a little heavier, a little stronger, super rides and good power. My first car was a 1967 Gransport 400 bought from an old lady who I worked with for 200 bucks, auto on the console, 400ci engine....a 1967 400ci engine! The speedo would bounce on the 120 mark racing down Rt 100. LOL...that was a while ago.

Tom and I see the car world pragmatically.....we don't care how you feel or how your new car makes me "feel inside". By the time we are asking numbers, we've already decided what model and options we want, we know the value and really don't want to chit chat too much.....just give me the best OTD price and we can both be winners here and you can move to fleece the next guy. They sure resist that way of simple business don't they? It's because in their minds, YOU are the "next guy".

Their entire business model explained in only two sentences! LMAO

Yeah, I think if you sell cars, you might want to re-evaluate your moral compass....or at least know who you sold your soul to! I'm not really knocking them. We all have to eat and I have met some folks who are so personable and talented that you will buy from them eventually, they are that talented. In today's world, I can't fault anyone who figures out how to navigate it legally.....but "come on man".

Software

That is a good point BD, many of the solutions the various manufactures have arrived at are not in line with the better programs as Suburu and some others have.

The "HOW" doesn't seem to enter into the minds of us consumers...but maybe it should with the levels of complaint I am reading about many of those programs. I do not place much of a value on them since we haven't grown up with them and older folks tend to be more self-reliant so for me, they really don't matter much till the car brakes by itself on the Beltway. THEN it will matter. This happened to my oldest daughter in Timonium with her old car last year. Her new husband made sure she got out of that and into something safer.

Z taught us about the "battery thing",

I told you about the mild hybrid- ISE thing.

Honda used to use a melting wax carefully filled by the highly trained Honda technician to make an Auto-choke car carburetor operate on their Civic. It melted when warm, opening the choke automatically. Then would re-firm when cool, resetting the choke when you pressed the accelerator to the floor to "set" it.

VW used air pressure (filled at a tire pump)_in the windshield wiper to provide kinetic energy to propel the fluid to your glass.

Ford simply said "hope you don't hit it". Okay so maybe they still have a ways to go with "blue pilot" or whatever they call their suite of solutions.

Fear not;

The world changes every day......this is all "keeping within standard parameters" but the pricing is stupid money, just stupid for cars. It's worthy of a brand new "rant" but for me, it involves getting up close and personal with money and I hate the concept.

I've come to a conclusion;
There must be one heck of a lot of really rich folks out there somewhere. NONE of us know where they are or even who they are, but they keep driving the car costs up don't they?

Hmmm, do they even exist?

FWIW;
The "landscape" part....or where is the weenie!

The Manufacturer is offering 1.9% on the car we want. This is very important to know before walking in the door. Their sales manager may not offer you their best rates otherwise, as happened to us. Had I not known this, he would have taken advantage of that lack of knowledge.

The car I looked at has been on the dealers lot since Dec '23.....and changed prices a half dozen times since being on his lot. The new 25's come in next month, really no different from the 23 or 24's. This doesn't play to his hand, it plays to mine. I even found 4 new 23's in PA. That dealer wants 24 money for 23 cars. We'll see how he is after the 25's arrive if this process extends that far. Right now, he is cutting a thousand a month from his prices. I can wait to see where his bottom is if need be.

I arrived at my number and sent this OTD number to another Dealer from a different location yesterday(up at Nationwide Infinity up by you BD) to their SM to procure me a car....he might even get the one from the Annapolis dealer. I will walk through each one till I find my "guy". We all know one of those Sales mgrs is going to jump at the number I gave them, it's just a matter of time. It's easy for them when they have the $$ to aim for. They will make a big deal over their "struggle" but the number is the number so I'll let them cry and will even play along with them like we all do but we won't be exceeding that number.

The way it will go down is that one of them will have a quota to reach.....my "deal" doesn't allow for their $3,500 added maintenance package but it does include their base profit on the model as well as their destination and BS fees.

ONE of them will take it simply because It helps them clash their cymbals to the boss. Yup, one of them will take it simply because I'm a sure thing and in the world of buying cars....they are my bi___, not the other way around!

or not, right?

Life is a hoot!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Another trick is to check the innerweb for the warranty. I tried to deal with Pohanka Honda in the hopes they got a deal on a warranty from the Honda but no beans. The innerweb showed me a dealer in New Jersey that was real and sold them straight away at half the price for a valid Honda Warranty. Good luck

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I had an Acadia 2015, I really liked it. However now they are smaller. No thanks. I got my niece an encore, which she likes. However I only need one car so I went for the enclave. Lots of room. Drives great.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I think it's interesting that how they drive is now more important than how fast they drive!

Been playing on the phone today.. I got "my guy" up near Balt.......they were willing to get there with a blue one on the lot but I want white not blue.

See how this works.....i WAS only worried about the price...now the color matters. We all become stupid when $ are involved, me included.

Kerry is not so selective...she has had a blue car since I've known her. I told her "blue" was a great color for hiding the dents on her car....then I appologized...lol.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Mine is white. However I had to have them find me a used one with grey interior, not dark brown. And with low mileage, V6, certified pre-owned and under warranty. LOL I'm picky