Advise please.

Jude2000

Location (City and/or State)
Oxfordshire
Please could someone tell me if Ruby's beak needs trimming. She's 10yrs old and in the last 4 weeks she has gone right off her food 😒. She seems to have some difficulty extending her head out over the bottom shell ! Thank you .

Attachments

• IMG-20240510-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240510-WA0001.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20240510-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240510-WA0002.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20240510-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20240510-WA0005.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please could someone tell me if Ruby's beak needs trimming. She's 10yrs old and in the last 4 weeks she has gone right off her food 😒. She seems to have some difficulty extending her head out over the bottom shell ! Thank you .
Yes. It is a little overgrown. When this happens, there is usually a reason for it. Often something is off in the enclosure, diet, lighting or temperature.

I'll leave this for your review to see if you can spot what it might be:

Jude2000

Oxfordshire
Yes. It is a little overgrown. When this happens, there is usually a reason for it. Often something is off in the enclosure, diet, lighting or temperature.

I'll leave this for your review to see if you can spot what it might be:
Thank you. I've tried really hard to follow all the advise in this link and she was eating really well up to 4 weeks ago but has now stopped and nothing will tempt her. I'll definitely re read all the info though just to double check if I've missed something 😒. We are in tge UK so weather has been challenging to say the least !!

hecurl

Osaka
trimming my hors's beak by using pencil router while avoiding to injure her mouth usually makes me dizzy, but it is worth it !
u wont suceed with it every day but every (literally) bits counts !

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Some extra long warm soaks every day can only be beneficial, if you are not already doing it. She may be quite dehydrated, and that would take her down quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I've tried really hard to follow all the advise in this link and she was eating really well up to 4 weeks ago but has now stopped and nothing will tempt her. I'll definitely re read all the info though just to double check if I've missed something 😒. We are in tge UK so weather has been challenging to say the least !!
Not eating is an entirely different problem. A few days is not good. A month of not eating is serious.

Please tell s the details of how you are housing this tortoise. Indoors or out? If indoors, the weather outside shouldn't matter.
What size enclosure?
What substrate?
What heating and lighting?
What type of UV bulb?
Four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?
What are you feeding the tortoise?
Any food supplements like calcium or fiber?

Pictures of the enclosure will also help us determine what might be wrong.