After 1 complete day of fighting with it, humidity issue resolved!! Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Wagners

5 Year Member
We brought Yoshi, our leopard tortoise, home just yesterday and we've been running around trying to make a good home for the little guy. We upgraded his heat lamp, put a couple small terra cotta saucers in there for food and water and and have tried everything we could think of to bring the humidity up to no avail. We've misted the whole thing, soaked the mulch tried covering the top and simply could not raise the humidity high enough. Being that we are in an apartment(home to be finished in under 2 months), it is incredibly hard to keep his open enclosure at 30% humidity, let alone 70+%. So, as a last ditch attempt before creating a completely closed enclosure, we have placed a small humidifier within the enclosure and have a partial lid between the two lights(a smaller tub lid sideways). The last time I checked, the humidity was sitting at 85%!

Yoshi now has his own foggy lagoon!

Attachments

• image-3620680909.png
    image-3620680909.png
    907.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image-36895605.png
    image-36895605.png
    855.4 KB · Views: 88

fitz12

5 Year Member
Loapard tortoises can tolerate humidity as long as there warm

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I recommend against colored bulbs. Especially for daytime. They can make things look funny to the tortoise. I like to use regular bulbs to simulate sunshine and then I use a ceramic heating element to maintain ambient temps day and night.

The_Wagners

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I recommend against colored bulbs. Especially for daytime. They can make things look funny to the tortoise. I like to use regular bulbs to simulate sunshine and then I use a ceramic heating element to maintain ambient temps day and night.

That is an item the Mrs. and I plan to get. Are they all about the same per given wattage(I've notices different shaped ones) or are there certain ones I should avoid?

Crystal2807

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Where did you get the little humidifier? I could really use one for this winter as humidity is a constant fight when it's time to bring Lilly inside.

HtVic

5 Year Member
i thought humidifier will cause some sort of Respiratory problem for long term

Status
Not open for further replies.