Age of red foot tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I just wanted to ask if anybody can take an estimate for how old my little guy is, right now he is 83 grams, 3 inches in length, and about 2 in a quarter wide. When I got him I was told he was about 2-3 months old, which would now make him about 8 months old. Can anybody tell me if this is normal size for that age or do u think he is younger?

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Florida
They can hit 90-100 grams at 4 months age. But it's very dependent on how breeder kept them, current conditions, genetics and individual traits.

If you have photos of Yoda when you first got him - this may help (there could be some hints on age like umbilical scar, egg tooth and such).
These are pictures I have from when I first got him, do these help at all?

Attachments

• IMG_8888.jpeg
    IMG_8888.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8889.jpeg
    IMG_8889.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8921.png
    IMG_8921.png
    700.8 KB · Views: 1

COmtnLady

Colorado
Do you have him in a completely closed chamber? He looks dry. How often do you soak him? He needs to be in constant 80+ percent humidity, at 80+ degrees Fahrenheit. (Aim for 84% and 84 degrees).

This may sound off the subject, but can make difference in growth rates, which can affect being able to estimate age.

Florida
They can hit 90-100 grams at 4 months age. But it's very dependent on how breeder kept them, current conditions, genetics and individual traits.

If you have photos of Yoda when you first got him - this may help (there could be some hints on age like umbilical scar, egg tooth and such).
The only reason that I never really worried that he was a bit smaller than other tortoises his age is because he is super active always eating, drinking, pooing all the normal stuff so I was never worried, he has also been gaing about 3 grams a month. Is this normal, or should I be worried?

dada625

china
3 grams a month? My redfoot baby was 55g June, 67g July and ~90g now. I just give you my redfoot baby growth rate, and cant tell you if 3 grams a month is abnormal. Perhaps each one is very different.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
The only reason that I never really worried that he was a bit smaller than other tortoises his age is because he is super active always eating, drinking, pooing all the normal stuff so I was never worried, he has also been gaing about 3 grams a month. Is this normal, or should I be worried?
Maybe @ZEROPILOT can comment on this?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
These are pictures I have from when I first got him, do these help at all?
To help estimate the age photos of the plastron (bottom shell) are needed. But if you don't have any we can just settle with the age told you by the breeder. It doesn't matter a lot.

As he is active and otherwise healthy I would not be concerned about size/weight. Just make sure that diet and environment are correct and let him grow in his own pace.

3 grams a months isn't a big gain, so I would double-check temperatures, humidity and diet. Maybe he needs a bit more nutrition.

Florida
Do you have him in a completely closed chamber? He looks dry. How often do you soak him? He needs to be in constant 80+ percent humidity, at 80+ degrees Fahrenheit. (Aim for 84% and 84 degrees).

This may sound off the subject, but can make difference in growth rates, which can affect being able to estimate age.
Yes he is the in a closed chamber and humidity is anywhere from 84-86 and temperatures at about 85

wendigo

Florida
A mixture of everything, I try to get as much variety as possible. Greens (spring mix, escarole, dandelion greens, chard, collards, kale, weeds) opuntia cactus pads, fruit (strawberry, blueberry, mango, banana, papaya, melon) veg (green and yellow squash), hibiscus leaves and flowers and occasionally mushrooms. I also will give small amount of cooked egg or chicken breast for protein one every 1-2 weeks. They get Mazuri pellets once a week. I use Kapidolo farms toppers daily and rotate through what they get.

This is a sample of what they get, this is for an adult yellowfoot so the mixture would be the same, just smaller portions.
IMG_6594.JPG