Aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
So Tyrone bit me, last week when i was putting food in his cage, today I was feeding him some cooked chicken and he all of a sudden pulled his head in and rocked back and forth ... Then charged me! Then bit me! I jerked my hand away and kinda screamed... I dropped his chicken, so I felt bad and tried to pick it up and he came after me again!

He has never shown aggression like that before and I have always hand fed him... What do you think was his problem?

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I think he thinks YOU are the FOOD! Do you hand feed him? I would probably take whatever you are feeding him on out, put food on it, then replace. Take your hands out of the equation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought I had read on here a year ago about not hand feeding because things like that can happen, they kinda mistake you for food:(

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
He associates your hand with food, and it doesn't help when it smells like food. Especially something he really wants, like chicken! I don't think he's trying to attack you, but I would stop hand-feeding him.
Nelson has bit me before (and wouldn't let go!) so I make sure to keep my hands away from his face!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
That makes sense!

I was worried something was wrong him!

Thanks everyone for once again reassuring me

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
This is exactly why I always advocate against hand feeding, it is cute until people start losing fingers, then we have to call you nubs. He associates your hand with food, and your hand probably smells like chicken, what is a tortoise to do?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Some torts are much more enthusiastic eaters....I also would say put his food on the plate and don't take it personal...just like with snakes that associate the hand with food and strike the hand....it is simply mistaken identity....in my humble opinion anyways...:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Well, Watsonpartyof4, it seems that there IS precedence...

4125239774_070582b8d5.jpg

2587460548_6a9ec81b43.jpg

OTOH, you now qualify for this awesome (and helpful) hoody...

41ma0X8XK-L.jpg

Wouldn't wear it while eating Skittles anywhere within the state of Florida, though...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Actually, since you were not hurt badly, I think this is pretty funny. I mean- red-footed tortoises are omnivores and eat meat- how is it supposed to know that chicken is OK, but fingers, made of the same stuff, are not?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Well, Watsonpartyof4, it seems that there IS precedence...

OTOH, you now qualify for this awesome (and helpful) hoody...

Wouldn't wear it while eating Skittles anywhere within the state of Florida, though...

OMG! I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants!

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
I was hand feeding my tort a carrot once, wasn't paying attention and CRUNCH!

And he's biggin', I'm talking near 30inches. Felt like a hammer slammed into my thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.