Albabra Poop

ben awes

5 Year Member
Uncle Bri and his two smaller friends are producing a remarkable volume of poop! What do you folks with large aldabras do with it all?

Do you compost it somehow? Sell it at the local farmers market? Bag it and throw it away? Wasn’t a problem until this year.

Would love to hear how folks handle it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I had horses, and I set up a place behind some trees, out of the way, for a manure pile. Every day I added horse, dog and tortoise poop, along with leaves and other garden trash, to the area. It was spread out about 50' long by about 10' wide. It decomposed nicely and I used the resultant dirt in my garden.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne, unfortunately I don't have enough room to do that. I am in the city and i've given all the available space to the tortoise yard. I can keep piling it up next to the driveway, and it does seem to decompose fairly well and does not smell too bad, but I imagine that I might get flagged eventually by a neighbor when they notice. I am wondering if a compost bin would be the best solution for me - but I am not a composter and not sure if it would work with poop?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thanks Yvonne, unfortunately I don't have enough room to do that. I am in the city and i've given all the available space to the tortoise yard. I can keep piling it up next to the driveway, and it does seem to decompose fairly well and does not smell too bad, but I imagine that I might get flagged eventually by a neighbor when they notice. I am wondering if a compost bin would be the best solution for me - but I am not a composter and not sure if it would work with poop?

It should work with a composter....

Jamie

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Maybe find a local inner city farm group-they would love that poop it is like the rocket fuel of animal poop!

ben awes

5 Year Member
Thanks Jamie! very helpful! And thanks Blackdog1714! I do have a local very large garden club/group that I drive past every day on my way to work. I'll stop and see if they are interested.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
When the Circus used to come to town they had to padlock the dumpster for the elephant poop they sold it in bags to folks