69p3xg.jpg

est5rc.jpg

vgk1s0.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
A question for you.

On the smaller Aldabra's you see the growth lines but on some of the big one's you can't see them and it looks like one solid scute with no growth. Do the growth lines fade on the scutes after a certain size?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmarcus said:
A question for you.

On the smaller Aldabra's you see the growth lines but on some of the big one's you can't see them and it looks like one solid scute with no growth. Do the growth lines fade on the scutes after a certain size?

:tort: All of our adults that are so smooth are very old mature imports and have most of the growth while in the wild. Also mating will smooth the females shell some also. Our captive breed/born hatchlings are well fed with an abundance of food sources and tend to grow faster than they would have in the wild. I have seen very large captive raised aldabras that have very distinctive growth marks/lines just like the younger ones started in captivity.

I was considering doing another growth project this year with two hatchlings from the same clutch. One will be fed as we have in the past, meaning supplementation food and one will be allowed to browse only from the natural vegetation with no supplementation. It would be interesting to see if any difference in the growth and shell development.

dmarcus said:
That last photo with the tear drop is awesome...

:tort: Probably slobber from eating, lol!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
nicoleandrocky said:
That would be interesting to see. Would they be given calcium?

:tort: We have never provided any of our tortoises calcium supplements. We feed our adult breeders Mazuri, three types of hay, misc. vegetables & some fruit, cactus, and all the natural weeds and grasses they want. We feed our hatchlings no commercial supplements, they get a variety of lettuce and greens, cactus, and browse at will on natural weeds and grasses. One thing we are fortunate to have a lot of is sunshine and high humidity here in SW Florida. We try to shower all the tortoises twice a day and always have fresh water available.

Radiated

5 Year Member
TWICE A DAY!!! WOW How do you have the time to do all these things? Isn't it just a hobby?

SuzieArizona

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Wow...you're living the dream. I love the photo and it's like you have living dinosaurs in your backyard.

ALDABRAMAN said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Hey all, I am an aldabra tortoise breeder in Florida. I have been working with this species for many of years. We have had great success with our breeding program resulting with many of hatchlings. This is an extreme hobby and passion for me and I will be happy to answer any questions or provide any direction regarding this species. Pictures available thru e-mail at [email protected].

ALDABRAMAN said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Hey all, I am an aldabra tortoise breeder in Florida. I have been working with this species for many of years. We have had great success with our breeding program resulting with many of hatchlings. This is an extreme hobby and passion for me and I will be happy to answer any questions or provide any direction regarding this species. Pictures available thru e-mail at [email protected].

3tois.jpg

This is part of our breeding colony.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
SuzieArizona said:
Wow...you're living the dream. I love the photo and it's like you have living dinosaurs in your backyard.

ALDABRAMAN said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

ALDABRAMAN said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

3tois.jpg

This is part of our breeding colony.

:)