ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

wildak

5 Year Member
Hi Aldabra Man,

This may have been covered as I have'nt read all of the 38 pages. I know you have the proper climate for these guy ( or closer than most), I have seen these guys as well as Galapagos that came from dryer climates that look pretty bumpy.

Do you that it is more likely that these extra bumpy ones started out in the dryer climate from the get go ? I was just curious if you think they would do better in a dryer climate if they had 3 years head start or more ? If that makes any sense to you.

Keep up the good work.
Bryan

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
:tort: I think that ours grow smoother than some is a combination of reason. We start ours from day one, straight out of the egg on a varied all natural diet with full exposure to natural sunshine, natural elevated humidity levels, and plenty of room for ample exercise. Most of our hatchlings leave soon after they are well started at about thirty days. The majority of the ones i know of that have pyramided from us were kept and housed inside. I also know of some that are kept similar to ours and they look fantastic, very smooth with no issues what so ever. Check out Orko's thread, they are kept outside, fed similar to ours, and are located here in Florida. My opinion, they are perfect and have grown significantly since they left our program. I wish i could give you a more definitive answer that they will not pyramid if well started and smooth at three years old, I am unsure.

wildak

5 Year Member
Thanks, I had just been looking at pictures on google again and some are pretty rough. I would guess having anchored logs and rocks for then to rub on outdoors would make them even smoother as intended by nature I guess. Unless they would get stuck having things anchored.

Have you ever been to the Islands ? I have been looking at Delroche (spelling?) . It's a nice place with very private beach houses and a breeding facility on the island. Sometime in the next few years I hope to go for a week or two. Pretty spendy though being a private island.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wildak said:
Thanks, I had just been looking at pictures on google again and some are pretty rough. I would guess having anchored logs and rocks for then to rub on outdoors would make them even smoother as intended by nature I guess. Unless they would get stuck having things anchored.

Have you ever been to the Islands ? I have been looking at Delroche (spelling?) . It's a nice place with very private beach houses and a breeding facility on the island. Sometime in the next few years I hope to go for a week or two. Pretty spendy though being a private island.

:tort: Someday soon! Really looking forward to the adventure!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
jsk38i.jpg

1z5ujnn.jpg

4uux35.jpg

105w8m1.jpg

33jtsf4.jpg

287f6l1.jpg

x4he2r.jpg

309orc2.jpg

2dmigzt.jpg

2ptrucw.jpg

2qdq63q.jpg

287f6l1.jpg

wc0kn4.jpg

2rhmgb4.jpg

wildak

5 Year Member
Great pics,
Do you have a sprinkler system hardlined around the outer edge of your exhibit ?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wildak said:
Great pics,
Do you have a sprinkler system hardlined around the outer edge of your exhibit ?

:tort: I do, it has a lot of pressure and works great. Irrigates the field and cools the aldabras down when the heat index is high.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
5x8rys.jpg

23m6g6p.jpg

ephufn.jpg

sfld2s.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2uq2k52.jpg[/img

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/zntovl.jpg
2rpbold.jpg

29p6p78.jpg

30u7s5g.jpg

14dj3vk.jpg

313t88z.jpg

inhbhz.jpg

24zeryb.jpg

rstqo3.jpg

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
AW! those are such cute pictures !!!! Which tort is that? such sweet little guys, and sweet caretakers! :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
nicoleandrocky said:
From all your pics, it seems cowboy thinks he's a human child~! he want the most love :D

:tort: We actually have several like him, he is so very special.