ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Mine gets so jumpy whenever he sees me, is it normal? My radiateds are so calm even when they see me but aldabra always runs away like panicking.

* My first thoughts is that yours is probably an import and has not had much exposure to humans. Ours seem to get very friendly real fast for several reasons. One is that ours are handled every day since hatching for soakings, hand feeding, etc.

* The more time you spend with them the more comfortable they will become with you. Slow and subtle movements are best when working with young aldabras, even our real friendly ones get spooked when we have a fast or jerky movement! We had a saying in the canine community when training our police dogs, "baby steps". Start by just gently touching them on the leg and build that trust!

IMG_9707.JPG

Last edited:

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
* My first thoughts is that yours is probably an import and has not had much exposure to humans. Ours seem to get very friendly real fast for several reasons. One is that ours are handled every day since hatching for soakings, hand feeding, etc.

* The more time you spend with them the more comfortable they will become with you. Slow and subtle movements are best when working with young aldabras, even our real friendly ones get spooked when we have a fast or jerky movement! We had a saying in the canine community when training our police dogs, "baby steps". Start by just gently touching them on the leg and build that trust!

View attachment 83277

Aaaaaawwwww, lil guy is so cute!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Last edited by a moderator:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
i gotta ask how much food do you have to whip up a day for these guys lol

* Honestly it is a big misconception, not that much! Mostly eat grass, weeds, and hay! Carrots are given sporadically as a treat and help maintain hard healthy mouths.

IMG_3395.JPG

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Haha. I had asked the same question for the same dreamy reason. ;)

* Many of days they just eat grass all day in the natural sunshine!

IMG_1282.JPG

that's why i'm waiting till i have my own land i would never get a giant tortoise not even a sulcata unless i had that kind of room acres upon acres

* Great plan!

IMG_2996.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: