ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
How many carrots they can eat over one setting of each of them? or how often you gave them carrots?

* They could probably eat many, however we usually give them one five pound bag about every week amongst the entire group. The purpose for feeding carrots is to keep their mouths strong and healthy!

IMG_3714.JPG

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Uh...that's a lot of peppers! How many will they eat each, roughly?

How do you get so much produce? I just picture you going to the grocery store and filling up cart after cart and cleaning out the produce section, lol. I'm assuming your solution is more cost effective! :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
amazing!!

* thank you!

IMG_3822.JPG

How do you get so much produce? I just picture you going to the grocery store and filling up cart after cart and cleaning out the produce section, lol. I'm assuming your solution is more cost effective! :D

* Farmers market, these were all small and they were going to throw them away. Honestly i could have had an entire truck bed full, however they would not eat them all and i would simply be working to clean more up than they can consume. The cactus was in the throw away box, however they do have thorns and i always remove all of those and cut it up for hatchlings. The carrots are in 50 pound bags and are eight dollars each. It cost more for lunch than than this entire load! Our biggest food expense is Mazuri and Hay, and in all honestly it is only given seasonally. Just to put things in perspective, our entire food cost is less than one hatchling per year.

IMG_3759.JPG IMG_3767.JPG

* This load is divided up and provided over four days between eleven large adults and over sixty babies, including Hopie and Tuff! They can only eat so much, remember some of our females simply prefer grass and weeds!

IMG_3786.JPG

* For sure, if you purchased this load, which in equivalent to about fifteen boxes, it would cost you over $300 at the farmers market. One fantastic free source is my cactus connections, my only expense is fuel, my raptor gets like twelve miles to the gallon and many of my sources are in the next county. I see these guys selling cactus pads for like one dollar each, imagine if i was financially driven the profit margins on one truck load of cactus, i would guesstimate over two thousand pads in a full truck load, lol!

IMG_1695.JPG

Of course Cowboy is always my helper, he always wants a shower or to be loved, lol!

DSCN0324.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

hmmca

OK, Now I have to get to some farmers markets. I do get cactus pads for 89 cents a pound.

Also I would have thought the food bill would be higher with all of the adults, so that is good news

hmmca

I do not think so, but you can reach his email, and he knows more about this tortoise then anybody I have ever talked to. Great guy and a ton of information.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Do you have a website?

* We do not, if you have any further questions pleas feel free to post your question here on this thread, pm, or my active e-mail is [email protected]

I do not think so, but you can reach his email, and he knows more about this tortoise then anybody I have ever talked to. Great guy and a ton of information.

* Thank you, however we both know you are biased, LOL! :)

IMG_3866.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: